PC Hardware forum

General discussion

checksum error - defaults loaded

by FactorD / August 4, 2006 1:02 AM PDT

I'm getting this error when i turn off, unplug then replug and turn on my system every time - what could it mean?

Also the mobo is quite new, i don't think the cmos battery could be dead yet.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: checksum error - defaults loaded
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: checksum error - defaults loaded
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That error normally shows up
by TONI H / August 4, 2006 1:35 AM PDT

precisely because a cmos battery is flaking out. Consider that even though your system is relatively new, there is no way to know how long that particular battery sat on a shelf waiting in line for it to finally be grabbed for that system to be built. Since batteries last quite a long time now compared to before, that battery could be three or four times older than the motherboard or other components.

I would start with that replacement since it's the least expensive area to begin with troubleshooting.

TONI

Collapse -
This is usually a battery fault..
by skycatcher / August 4, 2006 1:38 AM PDT

You could have a bad battery even on a new PC. Try going into your BIOS at startup and loading the default settings - Set the time and date correctly - Reboot and then do a Shutdown. Re-start after 10 seconds and see if you get the error. If you do not get it, Shutdown and leave it overnight. If you get it now, it seems like a battery fault.

They are not usually very expensive to buy but make sure you get the correct one.

Collapse -
let me clarify
by FactorD / August 4, 2006 4:44 AM PDT

Well, I guess I was being a little OTT in my initial post; I have really only got thie error twice now that I think about it, and both times were when I moved the PC from one case to another.

Could it be I've changed something while moving the PC contents from one case to the other, and that is causing it?

Collapse -
Unlikely but........
by skycatcher / August 4, 2006 5:07 AM PDT
In reply to: let me clarify

as there are pins on the motherboard that allow the BIOS to be neutralised, something could have touched these and set it to manufacturer's default. If you put exactly the same HDDs, CDs and cards back into the same places, just swapping cases shouldn't have made any difference. Check to see if the battery holder is gripping tightly... it may have got tweaked in the move or the battery could have been partly dislodged for a second.

Anyway, if the problem stays away now, it was probably just a 'moving experiance'.... (oooh... sorry)!

Collapse -
one thing i changed...
by FactorD / August 4, 2006 10:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Unlikely but........

one thing i changed was the positioning of the molex (power) connectors that go to the drives, but since these are just power cables, that shouldn't cause these problems, right?

Collapse -
That's Correct....
by skycatcher / August 4, 2006 9:25 PM PDT
In reply to: one thing i changed...

The power plugs just supply 5volts and 12volts to anywhere they are plugged into and don't recognise what device they are connected to.

But.... sooner or later, some bright spark will come up with the idea that the power supply should recognise which motherboard and drives it is connected to and will then only work with then so you will have to buy a new PC every time something goes pop - just like Microsoft (oops.. sorry... a bad word..) who only allow their operating systems to work with one PC and if you change the HDD or PC you have to buy a new copy to suit your new stuff...???*** - thieving gits...

Collapse -
Which version o/s does that?
by TONI H / August 4, 2006 9:52 PM PDT
In reply to: That's Correct....

I don't have that problem with any versions of Windows through XP at the moment....will Vista have that limitation, do you know? Or is that strictly a VENDOR MFR restore CD issue?

TONI

Collapse -
It was XP
by skycatcher / August 4, 2006 11:02 PM PDT

Hi Toni

The HDD failed on a local guy's PC, after only about a month, and was replaced under warranty but XP would not accept the number that was on the label. He contacted MS and was told that the O/S died with that HDD. I believe he got another number in the end but had a huge battle to get it. I don't know all the details but several people have told me that the O/S is now only for one PC - some upgraded PCs accept the number but won't work on Windows Update.

Even a local PC recycling centre (Gloucester, UK) is being forced to sell second user PCs with a Windows 2000 licence. What if you don't want Win2000? Bill Gates strikes again...!

Collapse -
Sounds more like a vendor issue
by TONI H / August 4, 2006 11:44 PM PDT
In reply to: It was XP
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?