Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Checking System

by tallin / January 19, 2007 4:55 AM PST

I ran the following URL which helped me determine if software was up to date on my system.
http://secunia.com/software_inspector/

I was running Adobe Reader 7.07 and was advised to update to 8 which I did. Question? Now in Add and Remove both Adobe Readers (7.07 & Cool are showing as installed. Should I uninstall the earlier version?

A further question- In Services I have the following running which I wonder if they are all needed -

1)Symantec Event Manager
2)Symantec Settings Manager
3)Symantec Core LC
4)True Vector Internet Monitor.

The only Symantec software I run is Nortons Ghost 10 which is my backup image software for my entire system, so wondering if all these items need to be in services running at startup?

Lastly I am running Adobe Flash Player 9.0.28.0 which I believe is the latest released, (showing installed in Add and Remove) but Secunia.com persistenly tells me my Macromedia needs upgrading:

"This installation of Macromedia Flash Player 8.x is insecure and potentially exposes your system to security threats!

The detected version installed on your system is 8.0.24.0, however, the latest secure version released by the vendor, fixing one or more vulnerabilities, is 9.0.28.0.

Update Instructions:
Update to version 9.0.28.0.
http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflash

NOTE: When updating Flash Player, older versions are not always automatically removed from your system. If older versions were detected that you believe should not be present, then please contact the vendor regarding how to remove them from your system.

Vulnerabilities Fixed:
Read about the vulnerabilities fixed with this update in Secunia advisory SA22467 (opens in a new window). The Secunia advisory describes the vulnerabilities fixed by the latest security update. If your installation is outdated with more than one version, then more vulnerabilities may be covered.

Installed on Your System in:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Flash\Flash8b.ocx

Thanks, would appreciate advice on the above from an expert.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Well, I checked the link and
by Daviddude / January 19, 2007 11:50 AM PST
In reply to: Checking System

The web page writer misspelled recognize...they wrote recognise.

I was a spelling b champ in elementary school...and seeing a spelling error on a web page leads me to not hold much faith in what is offered on the web page.

Collapse -
using Firefox2 with it's built in speller
by jonah jones / January 19, 2007 2:09 PM PST

all UK spelling is marked as 'wrong' colour for example is underlined in red.....

base your decisions on something a little more concrete than UK/US spelling....

jonah

Collapse -
I agree...
by PKsteven / January 19, 2007 3:52 PM PST

if you search any software or web page you can find typos. Local newspapers have them, ads, stores, owners manuals, just about anywhere. It's not that uncommon. If it read something like...

Truzt uz, We chEk yOu Puter' fo Updaits...

Then I would be concerned.

Paul

Collapse -
Anyone?
by tallin / January 19, 2007 4:26 PM PST
In reply to: I agree...

Yes, would there be anyone expert enough to answer the original post to this thread..............please

Collapse -
NP
by PKsteven / January 19, 2007 4:57 PM PST
In reply to: Anyone?

Leave the Adobies. I have personally uninstalled 7 and left 8 with no ill effects but that doesn't mean it can't.

Leave the Symantics be, I believe they are needed.

Go here for your Flash check...

http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/

This will tell you if installed and what version.

Paul

Collapse -
Check again..
by Papa Echo / January 19, 2007 5:41 PM PST
In reply to: Anyone?

..for a second opinion atPC Pitstop. Different views from a different angle. They will indicate to you which processes is required. Run their full scan (free). Go through the site - there are lots you can do, but use your head when following their recommandations or advice.

Collapse -
Process
by PKsteven / January 19, 2007 6:30 PM PST
In reply to: Check again..

I mean no offense Papa Echo so please don't take it as such but these are all needed processes and should be left alone. #4 I didn't catch last time but know it can be related to either norton or most likely ZoneAlarm. There really isn't much different view from a different angle when it comes to needed processes. As well, the link I gave for flash is Adobe's site and works just dandy.

Paul

Collapse -
No offence taken.
by Papa Echo / January 19, 2007 7:53 PM PST
In reply to: Process

My reply is meant for tallin, so "taking offence" does not arrise.

Collapse -
as Papa Echo said
by jonah jones / January 19, 2007 6:19 PM PST

"use your head when following their recommendations or advice"

latest/newest is not always the best

there is also a theory that says "if ain't broke, don't fix it"

jonah "still using Adobe 6" jones

Collapse -
TrueVector
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 19, 2007 6:43 PM PST

Hi tallin.

One item you mentioned in your first post was TrueVector Internet Monitor in Services. This is ZoneAlarm's TrueVector service. If you highlight and right click the service in the Services console and select Properties, you can see that it is located in a Zonelabs folder.

Services console, goto Start > Run, type in services.msc, then click OK.

With computers connected to the internet by broadband, the network connection to the internet is established well before Windows loads up on boot up.This is a known vulnerability as hackers can gain access to a computer during the boot up phase before any "windows" based firewall software can get started. So Zonealarm loads TrueVector before the connection is established to give us full protection. I suspect other firewalls will have a similar prevention system. With a dialup connection the TrueVector isn't needed because the dialup isn't initiated until after Windows fully boots up.

If you don't have Zonealarm, but have some other firewall, then you don't need this service. But in that case I suspect you had Zonealarm in the past, and TrueVector should have been uninstalled when you uninstalled Zonealarm. If you do have Zonealarm, then it is a necessary service.

For interest I Googled the 3 Symantec entries you gave as follows:

1] Symantec Event Manager - To do with Norton's Anti-Virus. "Enterprise-wide logging, alerting, and reporting for Symantec and select third-party antivirus solutions".

Nope, it doesn't mean much to me either! Happy

But it seems to be for business administrators to apply "solutions" across a network of computers.

2] Symantec Settings Manager - "Overview Symantec Enterprise Security Manager? enables organizations to define, measure, and report on the compliance of information systems against security policies, standards and government regulations ?all from a single console."

That from http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/products/overview.jsp?pcid=1004&pvid=855_1 but I had to download their PDF file to read it.

I think it's a file checker, (eg anti-virus and integrity), and an update manager. Below is a link how to remove it;
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/pfdocs/2005050211173748

It looks quite simple to me.......... Devil

But I still don't know what it does.

3] Symantec Core LCC - According to AnswersThatWork, this process, Symlcsvc.exe, is again part of Norton's AntiVirus, but I could find little more about it.

I think we've had discussions about Norton's products before, haven't we, and I have said that I am not an admirer of Norton. The problem is, they install all these services and software, they may or may not be integrated with each other, and it is so difficult to uninstall individual parts without running the risk of breaking Norton's altogether.

In your case, because you use Norton's Ghost, and because it works very well for you, I would be reluctant to suggest touching any of these services in case they break it. But if you do decide to do so, I would first set them to Manual in Services, then test, before disabling.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Mark F, Comicfan, Papa Echo & jonoh jones
by tallin / January 20, 2007 5:20 AM PST
In reply to: TrueVector

Thank you all for your posts and particularly you Mark for your (as usual) most informative suggestions. I have done the following regarding Adobe - I have uninstalled all Adobe Software, files and folders, and installed Foxit 2.0. It is not such a resource hogger and I seldom used Adobe which is.

I have one remaining problem as there is s remnant still showing in Add and Remove of Adobe 7.07. I have used the following Add and Remove cleaner: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5111.html

The remnant still remains.

Then I was advised to do the following and I quote:

"Click Start|Run, type regedit, and press Enter
Click File|Export
Make sure All is selected under "Export range" and save it to the desktop as backup.reg
Navigate the left pane to the following key and highlight it:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
Press Ctrl-F and search for Adobe Reader
When it finds an entry, there will be one folder open in the left pane. Right-click this and select Delete
Reopen/Refresh Add/Remove programs and check for the entry.
If the entry is still there, press F3 in the Registry Editor and repeat step 6.
Close the Registry Editor when completed.
If you accidentally delete the wrong one, just double-click and merge the backup file on the Desktop and it will restore the registry."

The remnant is still there.........any suggestions Mark?

I am leaving all four of the items in <Services> as I researched them as you taught me Mark - the first three are connected to Ghost and the fourth as you say is Zone Alarm which I run with great results.

Flash, I used uninstall software http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14157
then downloaded and reinstalled the latest Flash from http://www.adobe.com after deleting the Macromed folder.

So all I am left with is this Adobe remnant so and I quote again:

"Solution: reinstall adobe then uninstall again this process reinstalls the uninstall files, and should enable you to follow through on complete removal of adobe."

Hope this post may help others with similar or maybe the same problems.

thanks

Collapse -
I wonder if this would work.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 20, 2007 5:53 AM PST

It's surprisingly easy and has worked for me a couple of times in the past.

Trust Windows.....! What I mean is, in Add/Remove programs, what would happen if you highlighted the Adobe entry and clicked the Remove button?

Once or twice in the past when I did it, I got an error message up saying the program had already been removed, and would I like to remove the entry? When I clicked Yes, Windows removed the entry.

Would that work for you?

Mark

Collapse -
In a word - NO
by tallin / January 20, 2007 6:47 AM PST

Thanks Mark, in a word NO as there is no remove button in the highlighted "Adobe Reader 7.0.7" in Add amd Remove. Only "Adobe 7.07 with Rarely underlined". If there was a "send attachment" option on this forum I would send you a screen shot of it.

AND I cannot find in google the correct Adobe Reader (7.0.7) to download and install as I was advised to do. Things are not going well this morning! by the way I gave you a PM in September when I was in UK -

Cheers,

Collapse -
A bit of advice...
by PKsteven / January 20, 2007 9:56 AM PST
In reply to: In a word - NO

When you get a dead entry...Download Ccleaner, it's free. From the TOOLS menu, try to remove Adobe "uninstall" if not , Ccleaner will delete the dead entry.

Not to intrude just thought it may help. Wink

Paul

Collapse -
You are not intruding..............
by tallin / January 20, 2007 10:17 AM PST
In reply to: A bit of advice...

Have previously tried both of your suggestions. Didn't work I am afraid.

Also tried it in "Spybot (advanced mode) - Tools - Uninstall Info and highlight Adobe Reader 7.07 and hit Delete."

Does not show in either programs.

Thanks anyway, any other suggestions?

Collapse -
One more...
by PKsteven / January 20, 2007 3:15 PM PST

This may be a bit more direct but this is what I do when all else fails... Download Agent Ransack, it's free...

http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/Page.aspx?page=download

Search in expert mode on the whole C: . Type in "Adobe". Look at ALL Adobe files . You can highlight them and delete them right from ransack. Let me state, I have used this method for programs that tend to linger as this does, have used Agent Ransack for about 2 years perhaps more and have NEVER had issues after deleting floating files, HOWEVER, I simply can't guarantee you won't. Just to make a point I did this just a few minutes ago and all is well, I reinstalled Adobe with no issues. I had 55 with the install, you should only have about 15 but we'll see.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Collapse -
Other Options
by eddie11013 / January 20, 2007 11:19 PM PST
Collapse -
you could also check this out
by jonah jones / January 20, 2007 8:22 PM PST
Collapse -
Regarding updated system
by tomron / January 20, 2007 10:25 PM PST

Try BELARC,which lists missing updates and other info as well.

Also MBSA,which lists missing updates and other issues as well.

Tom

Collapse -
Solved
by tallin / January 21, 2007 4:37 AM PST

Thank you to all who contributed to this thread to assist me in solving the problem of the remnant of Adobe 7.0.7 lurking in my Add and Remove.

It was a registry problem and with a conference call over Skype with two expert technicians the problem was solved along with a 'logmein' computer to computer direct connection.

I appreciate all help offered and thank you once again.

Cheers

Collapse -
(NT) Glad you got it solved,thanx for posting back
by tomron / January 21, 2007 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: Solved
Collapse -
(NT) Yes, good to hear..:)
by PKsteven / January 21, 2007 5:35 AM PST
In reply to: Solved

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!