HolidayBuyer's Guide

Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Check a batch of 10,000 MS Word files for corruption

by w.nicram / September 6, 2008 12:17 PM PDT

I have about 10,000 word documents that I need to check for corruption due to a recent power failure in our office after which I got reports of some docs being corrupted. I've been looking all around the net to no avail until I landed here. I hope there is somebody here that can at least point me in the direction...
In the meantime I've been opening each document to see if it's damaged and after 2 weeks I got to about 500...drrrrag
Thank you...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Check a batch of 10,000 MS Word files for corruption
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Check a batch of 10,000 MS Word files for corruption
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not too difficult to write a script, I'd say.
by Kees Bakker / September 6, 2008 8:18 PM PDT

Use vbscripts filesystemobject to traverse the directories for the files, and the Word API's to open them.

If your organizations IT-staff doesn't have the necessary know-how, an organization with 10.000 documents certainly is big enough to hire it, I'd say.

Kees

Collapse -
No IT staff
by w.nicram / September 8, 2008 3:27 AM PDT

Well, my organization is 5 employees big, me being system administrator, DBA, programmer, backup operator... etc. We do independent medical examinations thus the number of word documents which are medical reports. I do have a backup with 5 months turnaround plus I keep an archive copy of closed cases. The thing is that I'd like to know the status of my files so I don't get screwed in 5 months finding corrupted doc... We really don't have founds for IT stuff yet. I'm not big in VBS, but have some experience with PHP. Given that I'm a novice in VBS do you think that I can learn it to the point of being able to write such script in a timely fashion?

Thank you,

Collapse -
It might be a good idea ...
by Kees Bakker / September 8, 2008 5:07 AM PDT
In reply to: No IT staff

to invest in a UPS, at least.

Let's talk about the script only if Wordpipe isn't the solution.

Kees

Collapse -
Indeed
by w.nicram / September 9, 2008 7:19 AM PDT

Yes... we just did (UPS)

The guys at WORDPIPE have not returned my email yet, so if you can show me the best course of learning to get such VBS script I will greatly appreciate it...

Collapse -
Wordpipe said:
by w.nicram / September 10, 2008 8:24 AM PDT

Sorry, WordPipe is to make mass search/replace changes, not to identify
corrupted documents.

Collapse -
Do you have a busted file?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2008 8:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Wordpipe said:
Collapse -
This looks like a job for...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2008 11:10 PM PDT

WORDPIPE. It's a commercial product but they will give support and answer if that's something it can do.
Bob

Collapse -
Looking into
by w.nicram / September 8, 2008 3:29 AM PDT

Thanks for the suggestion... I wrote to the company to see if I could utilize this tool for my needs

Collapse -
Forget email. Use the phone.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2008 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Looking into

Email pipes get clogged. Call them.

Collapse -
I did call
by w.nicram / September 9, 2008 7:44 AM PDT

And the message says they will be back next Monday..(??) and instructs to either leave a message or send an email (did both), thus can't count on a response from them anytime soon...

Collapse -
Check a batch of 10,000 MS Word files for corruption
by dmallder / March 17, 2009 5:59 AM PDT

Did you ever find a way to traverse your folders and open the files to test for corruption? I have same issue where I have both .doc and .xls files (and others) that have become corrupted but because we perform a 2 week backup retention, we are essentially up-the-creek. I want to find a program that would open the files and test for such corruption so that no matter the retention of the backups, we can identify file(s) gone bad and restore before we go beyond a good restore-point.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.