HolidayBuyer's Guide

Desktops forum

General discussion

Cheap refurb vs. cheap new

by thegibson / March 31, 2010 1:50 AM PDT

I built our computer about five years ago so we are well past the time when it needs to be replaced. I've been upgrading RAM and storage as we go, but we've reached the end of the road with this one.

I'm considering two different computers for purchase: one is a refurbished from buy.com, and one is a newer tower from Best Buy. Regardless of which one I get I plan on installing a second hard drive (to separate the operating system from the data) which I'm guessing would void any warranty that comes with the machine. So bear that in mind. (related thread: http://forums.cnet.com/5208-4_102-0.html?threadID=388908%20)

I don't do any gaming or video editing so we are looking at photos, music, streaming video, etc.

Gateway DX4822-01 (refurb) $399

2.6GHz Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5300 Processor (Benchmark = 1723 on cpubenchmark.net)
6GB DDR2 Memory
1TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive, 16X DVD

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cheap refurb vs. cheap new
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cheap refurb vs. cheap new
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
i Lean to the i Three.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2010 1:59 AM PDT

There are too many reasons even more so when we talk about video work.

Ok, the warranty is split into a few areas. Yes you'll not get any warranty support for the OS. It was not that good anyway as most questions end with "restore the factory OS."

But the hardware is still under warranty with something you must know going in. They won't support you with a hardware issue unless you restore the factory load. Some get upset about that but 'dems the rules'.

While the x4500 might be slammed by some, outside of games I find it a great solution. My laptop with a 4500MHD connects to the HDTV with HDMI and plays HD content just fine. And with your i3 you'll scream past my laptop's older C2D 2.0GHz CPU.
Bob

Collapse -
Restore factory load?
by thegibson / March 31, 2010 2:52 AM PDT
In reply to: i Lean to the i Three.

You mean return it to the state it was in when I purchased it? Isn't it still void as I cracked the case can could have done anything when in there without them knowing?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2010 3:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Restore factory load?

I rarely see any company rule so harshly. Given the nature of desktops and the need to clean them yearly how would we avoid opening the case.

Of course they would cover a non-stock setup. But if you do this right you can return it to stock when needed. Hard disks are so cheap that I could remove the supplied drive, slip in a new drive just for my use.
Bob

Collapse -
by thegibson / March 31, 2010 3:33 AM PDT
In reply to: .

They used to have those seals over the case side. So ridiculous.

So it's really worth the extra $160?

Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2010 5:28 AM PDT

The old pentium core unit is strictly a value item and nothing more. How much do you value your time?

Collapse -
wow
by thegibson / March 31, 2010 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes.

I guess I'm just shocked that there's $160 worth of value in the processor considering I'm going to void the warranty the minute I get home.

I wasn't expecting that. Does anyone else agree?

Collapse -
Let's try a little math.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2010 10:17 AM PDT
In reply to: wow

Looking at benchmarks your one hour video render on the i3 should take longer than 1.5 hours (my bet is 2+ hours) on the dated dual core.

Yes, it's worth it.
Bob

Collapse -
Okay.
by thegibson / March 31, 2010 11:34 AM PDT

... but I don't render video. I might rip some DVD's so I have backups for my kids, but rendering video is not something I know how to do or am looking to learn.

Collapse -
Ripping a DVD involves rendering.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2010 9:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Okay.

ALL and I mean ALL dvd rippers I've seen render some of the DVD to get an idea of what to do with the DVD.

If you want to make a less than great upgrade to a value only box then do that. At least someone warned you.
Bob

Collapse -
Good to know.
by thegibson / March 31, 2010 10:35 PM PDT

Thanks. I wasn't making the connection there.

Collapse -
Sorry for the typo.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2010 5:27 AM PDT

I meant no one covers the non-stock machine.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.