It depends on the game. Let's just put it this way though. A little while back I figured I'd set up a PSX emulator to play (a legally obtained copy of) Final Fantasy VIII.

I figure that given the relative age of the PSX, the 4500HD should be plenty to play PSX games with a modest amount of image enhancers. It wasn't. It couldn't even really manage things at the same resolution and image quality as the PSX. And I know it wasn't anything else. The system otherwise was a Core 2 Quad Q8600 (2.3GHz/core) with 6GB of RAM. So, it should be enough to just muscle through it. I then get a fairly modest Radeon HD 3650, and that one was more than capable of playing the game with quite a number of image enhancements.

On paper the 4500HD looks pretty good, but it's really aimed at things like high res DVD playback, not gaming.

That all aside, laptops make HORRIBLE gaming systems. If you want portable gaming, get a PSP and/or DS, not a laptop. And I would be very suspicious of any laptop, no matter who makes it, that's under $1000. Unlike desktops, laptops are pretty much WYSIWYG, and upgrade potential is extremely limited. I generally tell people that there is a rather fixed cost with computers, but you can pay for it in one of two ways. You can either pay for it up front with cash, or you can pay for it over time with lots of frustration.

With desktop systems, anything under $500 is likely going to have a razor thin profit margin if it has a profit margin at all. So, quality control tends to be pretty non-existent on these things. Laptops are generally all-in-one systems, and with the limited upgrade potential, it's not like you can just rip out a bad component and replace it with a better one later. Which is why I don't recommend any system, regardless of brand, for under about $1000 for laptops. Anything less than that, and the profit margin is going to start getting thin enough that there isn't going to be as much quality control.

So like I said, you can either pay a fairly significant amount of money up front to get a system that is reliable and works well in general, or you can opt to pay less up front and get stuck with a system that will likely crash on you repeatedly among other things. One way or the other you WILL pay, so it's up to you which way you want to pay.

I'm just going to take a guess and assume that you're looking for a laptop for college. So what I would suggest for multiple reasons is to either get a desktop for gaming, or even better, get a PS3, Xbox 360, and/or Wii for gaming, and then a lesser computer for homework. That way you can spend more of your limited gaming budget on games, and not hardware upgrades for the computer. And I would actually recommend AGAINST a laptop, because you WILL eventually find yourself chatting with friends on IM or wasting time on Facebook rather than paying attention to the lecture. And taking notes on a laptop doesn't work as well in practice as it seems like it would in theory. Honestly, a notebook and pen/pencil will serve you much better.

Anyway, that's my take on things. You can take it or leave it as you choose.