Ubuntu-12.04.3 on sda
Mageia-3 on sdb

Mbr on sda grub 1.99

From time to time I get a chatting sound from one of the hard drives
Ran smartmontools and both drives passed

Is there a way to locate which hard drive is causing the noise

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Chatting sound from hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Chatting sound from hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by Willy / November 19, 2013 4:09 AM PST

Make darn sure that the HD themselves are secure in their mounting and/or location. Rattle from metal contact can cause disturbing sounds but is normal unless actually unsecured. Next, some sound should be present provided it gets accessed alot and the location of data as it physically seeks it all, "IF" appears to increase during intense operations. Last, what maybe considered a HD noise maybe more about some physical fan as the sound source. I would think any SDA would be a quiet operation so be sure what is causing the noise or sound source excluding those.

You didn't provide full details on the PC this is configure on, so give.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Pc coniguration
by Ray_moe / November 19, 2013 4:33 AM PST
In reply to: Sometimes...

Dell XPS 600
Plentiun d dual core 3.0ghz

Sda hard drive wdc-250 gb
sdb seagate 80 gb
Both drive has lots of use hours

The noise seems to be happening when the hard drive is active

As the computer case is 18x20 and difficult to unfold to open
I was wanting some ideas what might be wrong before opening

Collapse -
I'm with Willie that you'll probably need to
by Steven Haninger / November 19, 2013 5:45 AM PST
In reply to: Pc coniguration

crack open that Dell case. Otherwise, you're left with what you hear when booting each distro. I suppose you could just unmount the drive and run some HD intensive application doing each drive in turn. Still, there's no better way than with the darned Dell split wide open where you can momentarily stop fans and press on parts of the case to see if it has any effect. My own experience is that hard drive head noises are quite distinctive and fan noise is all over the place.

BTW...and for Willie...I think you thought SDA meant it was solid state. This is Linux and I fall into those terminology traps too. Though it could mean SCSI, it's probably SATA. IDE drives are hda, hdb, etc. Linux is the evil OS hackers use to wreck havoc on the unsuspecting. Happy

Collapse -
by Willy / November 19, 2013 10:28 PM PST
In reply to: Pc coniguration

Having a Dell XPS 600 "clam shell" case to open would provide some ease of access. It allows you to touch with deft care what maybe causing the sound/noise as it were. I suggest a pencil using the eraser end or other stiff plastic rod, etc.. That way you can again using care zero-in on the sound source. Check mounting and all that. If you like in some cases where there is metal-to-metal contact I have used thin rubber washers to isolate that metal-to-metal contact on one side or all around, whatever it takes. You'll use the items you have in hand to do the best you can. Also, don't over-tighten screws to think it will super secure, it actually could be the cause of the problem, etc.. With case open you follow your ear as well. good luck....

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
you have a fish tank?
by James Denison / November 27, 2013 1:22 PM PST
In reply to: Sometimes...

If so use some of the air tubing. Place one end in ear, and with the side off, when the sound begins, touch each drive. You will find the one making the noise for sure.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?