Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

charge fee to leave domain???

Hello folks,

I hope you can help me please. I have a little problem. I am currently very unhappy about my current host and wish to leave them. I only have a month or two left but i wish to go now.

The problem i have is this...
The company have written back to me and told me this:

quote "If you registered your primary domain through ***** and you are going to keep this domain after cancellation, you will be charged a fee". I believe this is $26 dollars

Question 1: is this correct or is this just a ploy to get more money from the client?

Final point..

They told me "Note that if you do not transfer your domain, you will be billed for that domain?s registration on its anniversary date, regardless of whether you have a ****** hosting account or not."

This is the point that most concerns me. I am willing to leave them and leave the domain and re-register another name because the site is only a fan-site, so not really important. This comment about charging me on the anniversary seems like black mail. Is this scare-mongering?

It seems that whatever i choose to do will cost money one way or the other. This doesn't seem a common issue as i haven't found this mentioned on the internet.

Can someone tell me where i stand... legally or otherwise

Many thanks

ymo1965

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: charge fee to leave domain???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: charge fee to leave domain???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A bit of help from Midlands Web Design

In reply to: charge fee to leave domain???

Hi,
On the first point, yes I have the same problem and I believe they can charge for leaving.

On the 2nd point if you have informed them you don't want to renew then you shouldn't have to! I'm 99% certain that this is correct.

Solution: Hmm I would try changing your financial information or make sure you keep in contact with them and be as plain talking as possible.

Who is the host? I'm interested to see if it's the same as mine.

Also I would post your question on a dedicated web hosting forum as the answers maybe more advanced.

Regards,
Rob Hawthorn

Midlands Web Design

Message was edited by: admin to remove signature link which is prohibited in these forums. Please use your CNET profile for such. Thanks.

Collapse -
no further cost mentioned when they pulled the plug

In reply to: A bit of help from Midlands Web Design

I was referring to hostpapa. From other posts i have read regarding them, there policy is quite vague. Incidentally, i closed my account last night [5 march] and there was no further mention of cost. Just what they were originally claiming with the domain name and anniversary still isn't clear, so i suspect this was just no more than a final ditched attempt to persuade clients to stay with them.

Would be very interested from other ex-hostpapa customers what experience they had with them.

Btw, many thanks for your reply

ymo1965

Collapse -
our experience so far with transferring

In reply to: no further cost mentioned when they pulled the plug

My group is currently dealing with the same issues. Recently we have become very dissatisfied with the unprofessional conduct of our server, StartLogic (which currently has an F rating with the BBB.
I just transferred our domain name from them to Network Solutions.
This is what happened. I was pestered about why I was changing, and I did not want to go into the details.
Then, I was sent an Authorization Code. The representative unlocked the domain name, and reaffirmed my email contact address. No additional money was required, but no refund for unused time was allowed either.
I transferred the domain name to Network Solutions, who asked for the authorization code in an email. They charged $19.00 and told me that the transfer would take about 5 or 6 days, during which time our site would be fully functional.

Now, to changing servers from StartLogic: Our contract has a year to go. I was told there would be a $35.00 cancellation fee, and remaining amount on contract would be refunded after the fee.
So that's how it worked for us.

Collapse -
hostpapa sucks!!!

In reply to: charge fee to leave domain???

Hostpapa sucks!!!! They are cheap and sound really good but they blocked my IP without telling me. I can't get my emails, see my website or get FTP. After I contacted them, they told me the problem but then they said they can't fix it because the person with access was not available. Apparently Outlook was checking for email too often for them. (Outlook settings were the standard ones.) They didn't tell me this until after I checked for the third time what progress was being made. There is nothing obvious on their package descriptions that says anything about frequency of email. I need my website and email access for my business. Use someone else!!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!