General discussion

charge/discharge laptop

is there any utility/software that can charge/discharge a laptop battery?? thanx

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: charge/discharge laptop
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: charge/discharge laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Look for your laptop's BATTERY CALIBRATION FEATURE.

That will do it. However this never fixes a bum battery. In fact if you have a bum battery said battery can fry the charging circuits. I've seen people futz and fume over a many year old battery to the point they have fried the circuit on the mainboard and instead of the (now cheap) battery they are paying for a new mainboard and a battery.

Bob

- Collapse -
thanx

can u tell me how to do the BATTERY CALIBRATION FEATURE on the inspiron 4100?

- Collapse -
Just a link and note.
http://www.west-wind.com/WebLog/posts/365.aspx

For current models it appears to recal when you pull the battery out and wait a while. Again you won't fix a battery this way. Is it old, past it's 500 charges prime?

Tell the story since I'd hate to see you roast your laptop.

Bob
- Collapse -
never counted

had it about 2 years now

- Collapse -
That's well past the expected lifespan of ...

Most batteries. You haven't revealed much as to why to do this. All I can hope is the recal helps but it can be dangerous to circuits if it's a dead battery.

Bob

CNET Forums