Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

changing wallpaper

by BeckyTucker / January 7, 2010 3:04 AM PST

I have a COMPAQ Presario 6000 running XP v 5.1 with the Service Pack 3 update. When I go to the desktop and right click and go to properties, I don't even get a desktop tab. I have Themes, Screen Saver, Appearance, and Settings. How do I retrieve that desktop tab. I am getting tired of looking at this butterfly!!

Any help will be much appreciated Happy
thanks in advance
Becky T

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
It's A Registry/Group Policy Setting.....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 7, 2010 3:49 AM PST
In reply to: changing wallpaper

Frequently, it occurs because of malware.. If you're using XP Pro, follow the instructions in the link below:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/desktop_tab_missing_from_display.htm

If you're using Windows XP HOME, then click Start-Run, enter "regedit". Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Policies\System folder. Look in the right-hand pane for a value named "NoDispBackgroundPage". Double-click it and change its value from 1 to 0.

If no such registry entry is listed there, then check in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer key/folder for a value named "ClassicShell". If there, as above, set the value to 0.

After making the changes above, also fix the same values, if they are incorrect, at both of the registry locations below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Policies\System

After making the changes, restart the computer.

And because malware can cause such issues, if you haven't already, download, install, update, then run a full system scan with BOTH of the free tools below:

Malwarebytes Antimalware

SUPERAntispyware Removal Tool

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: changing wallpaper
by Tufenuf / January 7, 2010 4:51 AM PST
In reply to: changing wallpaper

Becky T, If you're not comfortable editing the registry yourself go to the link below and scroll down to line 128 (right column) and click on or right click and use Save Target As "Restore Desktop and Screensaver Tabs" to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt. It should restore your Desktop tab in Display Properties.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Tufenuf

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!