PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Changing the graphics settings

by kzolady / April 2, 2005 2:58 AM PST

I haven't done this in a while, and can't find the info on how to change the graphics settings from pci to agp. I'm having some trouble with my tv tuner card It is ATI) and this is something that might help. Can you tell me in simple terms, cause I did it before, but it has been awhile. I'm using ME

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Changing the graphics settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Changing the graphics settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You simply go into the BIOS and
by Ray Harinec / April 2, 2005 4:06 AM PST

enable AGP as the first video search. it shouldn't help anything. it just tells the system during the boot to search for an AGP "card" rather than waste time [milliseconds] looking for a PCI card. once the AGP card is "found" you are running from the AGP slot.

ATI drivers can give one fits. I can't help you there.

Collapse -
Use the TV Player
by TONI H / April 2, 2005 4:26 AM PST

program that it comes with.....and enter all of the configurations there. I about went crazy trying to get the correct settings of Svideo vs the other options only because I wasn't using the TV at all and was instead trying to configure it for my vcr. A couple of emails back and forth with ATI tech support got me up and running pretty quickly and I kept the notes on what I needed to do.....but it was all in the tv player program settings and they were the same for a vcr as they would have been for the tv so start there.

If you need more help, post back and I'll hunt down the notes I took about this.

TONI

Collapse -
ATI
by kzolady / April 4, 2005 2:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Use the TV Player

I also have ATI. An All-In-Wonder Radeon 7500. I've had it about 3 years and it hardly ever runs right. I can get it just about right, and then the next time I want to use it nothing works. I want to watch my DVDs on the TV, but the desktop is not displaying on the TV. I got it to recognise the tv display, by uninstalling and reinstalling the tv monitor in the control panel>systems>device manager, and the boot screen displays on my tv, but the desktop doesn't. Also the ATI remote control doesn't work. Maybe it the Canadian stuff, if a US company had anything like this I would have gotten it here. I know it is a complicated system, but I don't have these kinds of problems with anything else in the computer. I've had it running about 4 different times but it always messes up. Their customer support isn't much help either. Sorry to complain so much.

Collapse -
DVD to TV from PC is programmed to fail. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2005 2:16 AM PDT
In reply to: ATI

The MPEG licensing authority (www.mpegla.org or .com) wants 2 bucks per video stream for DVD players. This would add 2 bucks to the DVD player software so current players often disable the TV OUT for DVD play.

If only they would just tell you this.

Bob

Collapse -
If you get it to work,
by chuckieu / April 4, 2005 7:12 AM PDT

unless you have a HDTV, it will look like &^%%^^. The resolution isn't there. I set mine up, looked at it once and blew it off. Now, downloading from my PVR to my harddrive is another matter. chuck

Collapse -
Not Streaming videos
by kzolady / April 4, 2005 8:01 AM PDT

It isn't just the DVD. The TV goes through the boot cycle, and then nothing. Can't get the desktop to display on the TV. It would be nice if the DVDs would play on the TV though. Don't have widescreen, alot of DVDs don't come in full screen, and WinDVD will play them full screen. The few times I got the DVDs to play on the tv the picture wasn't too bad. I'm not streaming videos, I'm playing my own.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.