Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

changing name in documents and settings folder

the tech who rebuilt my computer could not spell my name correctly and folder in *documents and setting* looks like this: c:\Documents and Settings\Darlean

i have attempted to change it but i receive a notice saying, *Darlean is a Windows systmes folder and is required for Windows to run properly. It cannot be moved or renamed.*

i have searched the registry using *regedit* and tried several windows tweaks and i can't *find* it ........

help .....

darlene

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: changing name in documents and settings folder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: changing name in documents and settings folder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That is your username

In reply to: changing name in documents and settings folder

You need to create a new user called Darlene (if that is right)

Start (maybe settings if your startmenu is the classic type) Control panel Users.

Make a new one and make sure they are an administrator

If you already have stuff in your my documents and stuff then you can copy it over via my computer.

Collapse -
the thing is ...

In reply to: That is your username

the thing is i would like to completely obliterate that name *darlean*

i created that username already, however it never shows up .... where in the registry can i find *darlean*?

thanks so much

darlENE .... LOL

Collapse -
Try this...

In reply to: the thing is ...

Log in as the main Administrator- at Safe Mode, or "Ctrl+Alt+Del Twice" at the Welcome Screen. You had problems changing maybe because you were logged in as Darlean. You mentioned that you cannot find the new user name- what sre the folders found at the Documents and Settings folder ?

Collapse -
Changing Name in Documents and Settings Folder

Go into the Control Panel, then ''System Properties.'' When you're in there, hit the ''Computer Name'' tab and click ''Change'' and you can give the computer any name you wish.

Collapse -
Documents and Settings folder name

Darlene --

Let me guess: the tech created a user named Darlean, which set a Darlean folder in Documents and Settings. You didn?t mention wanting to change the user name, so I assume you have already used User Accounts to change the user name to Darlene. However, the D and S folder name did not change. (Microsoft says this is; ?by design;? a term many of us believe is often used as a euphemism for ?programmer goof.?) The link is still valid, even though the name has changed; anything you do under the user name Darlene will be reflected in the D and S folder named Darlean

I would say forget about trying to find registry changes; this You have two or three options, depending on whether you have XP Home or XP Pro.

First, and easiest, you can bite the bullet, and accept the incorrect spelling of the folder name. The link will be valid, so that whatever you do under the logon name Darlene should properly be reflected in the D and S folder named Darlean. This will work for either OS.

Second, you can do as Dan suggested; create a new and proper user account, copy the files, and then delete the old account name and D & S folder. But a warning: if you did change the logon name from Darlean to Darlene, you must first change it back, and then proceed as Dan suggested. Copy any Darlean files and folders to the new Darlene folder using your method of choice I generally use Windows Explorer). This method should work with either OS, but you must be logged on as an Administrator, and Darlean must be completely logged off.

Third, if you have XP Pro, you should be able to rename the D $ S folder. See the following Microsoft knowledgebase article for details.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283111

Hope this helps ?

Frank

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.