Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Changing/Modifying Shortcut dates

by Wathen1955 / October 15, 2009 11:03 AM PDT

I have several shortcuts in a folder on my desktop here at work. They link to several excel and word files. When I was running Win2k, each time the file was updated, the shortcut date was also updated when I re-opened the file. This made it easy for me to see which files have been updated each month.

Now I'm using XP, and it does not update the shortcut dates. I've search the net and could not find anything on the subject. Anyone know of a way with software or not, to have the shortcut dates updated each time the file its pointing to is updated?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Changing/Modifying Shortcut dates
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Changing/Modifying Shortcut dates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Interesting.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 15, 2009 8:51 PM PDT

Do you mean like this?
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8660/shortcut.jpg

That's a shortcut to an OpenOffice Calc file on my Vista system, (similar to an Excel file). I am not using my XP rig at the moment so I can't tell.

But that shortcut above shows that I modified this file yesterday, (sorry, UK date format and not US). Doesn't the XP shortcuts show the same information?

I see an unusual thing though. Why is "Accessed" showing as July 15 and not Oct 15?

I must admit I have never checked my shortcuts for dates in that way.

Mark

Collapse -
With a shortcut just being ...
by Kees Bakker / October 15, 2009 9:17 PM PDT

a file in the filesystem, I'm not really amazed that at least some of its properties reflect its own attributes, not the attributes of the file it points to. That's reasonable for attributes like name or size, isn't it?

But I must admit I never did a systematic study to see which of the properties show its own, and which show that of the file it points to.

I'm afraid this works the way it's designed by Microsoft and can't be influenced by the user. So if you rely on it, you probably should write your own script or program to make the output you need. Or ask one of your programmers to spend a few days doing it (if your boss is willing to spend the money).

Kees

Collapse -
more info...
by Wathen1955 / October 16, 2009 12:11 PM PDT

You guys are close but no cigar. I created a desktop folder by right clicking and selecting FOLDER. I then dump my shortcuts into this folder.
For shortcuts, I perform the same tasks, but I'm pointing to word and excel files. Under win2k, each time I modified the file date via the shortcut on my desktop, the shortcut date displayed in the folder would update. It made it easy for me to see which files I've updated for the month.

I've Googled myself to death trying to find a "switch" that I can change using regedit to no avail.

Collapse -
Chalk that up to _____?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2009 12:42 PM PDT
In reply to: more info...

Sorry I'm at a loss for words when what we used to use fails and is not so gently swept away. Read http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25236 for a nice diatribe about these date, time and how it changed in Explorer.

Unless you have a trainload of cash I think this is a dead and gone feature for Windows XP and beyond.

Ouch,
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.