PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Changing Micro ATX motherboards - potential problems??

by Daz6546 / February 23, 2004 3:11 AM PST

I currently run a Microstar 6534 ver:1.0 which I'm told is not a fantasic board by any stretch of the imagination, I must say I have to agree after trying to flash upgrade and then swapping my Award BIOS chip unsuccessfully. Then trying to swap my 64 Mb NVidia MX2/400 graphics card for a 256Mb NVidia FX5900 Ultra also unsuccessfully - error message "Parameter is incorrect" showing every time an attempt to load drivers/ software.
So, as I think the problem may be down the the AGP speed/voltage, I am going to change my mobo to an Intel D865 GLCLK.
My question is: Can I just take my old board out and replace it with the new one in a straight one for one swap using all of my existing hardware? (I know I will have to change the SDRAM to DDR)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Changing Micro ATX motherboards - potential problems??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Changing Micro ATX motherboards - potential problems??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Changing Micro ATX motherboards - potential problems??
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2004 3:22 AM PST

Such changes I have done in the past. Pitfalls are:

1. Forget to remove an extra mounting post and the board didn't boot.
2. Had to change the power supply to meet the new power demands. Light reading at http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20040122/
3. Had to reinstall the OS. Since I backup some 3 different ways, this is always a nice idea since I get a clean machine.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Changing Micro ATX motherboards - potential problems??
by Daz6546 / February 23, 2004 3:57 AM PST

Thanks for your reply Bob, I dont think I will have snags with my PSU as I have a Jeantech 400W. Not sure what you meant by forgeting to remove the extra mounting post - maybe you could explain further. And is it usual to have to re-install the OS?

Collapse -
Mounting posts are often CONDUCTIVE metal which is not good when they are not called for.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2004 4:57 AM PST

I think you can imagine that problem.

As to installing the OS, I can avoid it over 1/2 the time, but if the change is big, I know it takes longer to fix the old OS verses just toasting the WINDOWS directory and starting over.

We all backup, so it's not that big a deal.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Changing Micro ATX motherboards - potential problems??
by Willy / February 23, 2004 3:54 AM PST

It makes good sense to start from scratch and reload everything, even if it appears it may work. But, my experience you have a 50/50 chance and lean more on it working afterwards, but that's me. Take *nothing* for granted, inspect during install and check again. Have al the install s/w available, etc. for a more smoother process. Observe that some items may not be able to swap as you noted the memory, but other items too, especially if going to XP os, just make note of that. If you're using the XP os, it just better to start over again, but backup on any OS important data, etc. for later retrieval.

good luck -----Willy

Collapse -
Maybe, I missed it?
by Tom Aikman / February 23, 2004 6:03 AM PST

The OS is not revealed.
XPpro here, and I musta got lucky. I went from an old Abit board to a MSI and XP booted just fine. Of course, I did go through some "found new hardware" but it was painless.
Since, I have upgraded CPU, memory, and PSU without any problems.
Closing, worst case is reinstalling OS. You may get lucky though.

~Tom

Collapse -
Re:Maybe, I missed it?
by Daz6546 / February 23, 2004 6:41 AM PST
In reply to: Maybe, I missed it?

Thanks Tom for your input, I have XP home on this comp and XP Pro on PC2.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!