Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Changing MAC address in Windows 7

by davidsimon64 / January 1, 2010 3:41 AM PST

Dear All,

I am pretty crazy about the fact that many adapters don't provide an option in properties to change the MAC address like Broadcom adapter.

http://www.techskipper.com/general-os-tips/how-to-change-mac-address-in-windows-7/

Can someone tell why in case of adapters such as Broadcom we have to go to registry in order to change the MAC address? while in adapters like D-Link, we can easily change the MAC address from the properties.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Changing MAC address in Windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Changing MAC address in Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You'll need to speak to Broadcom about that.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 1, 2010 4:22 AM PST

They may know.

Mark

Collapse -
Why would anyone want to change it?
by peacox / January 1, 2010 5:59 AM PST

This is a quote from Wikipeadia:
Although intended to be a permanent and globally unique identification, it is possible to change the MAC address on most of today's hardware, an action often referred to as MAC spoofing.

MAC Spoofing is a hacking technique of changing an assigned Media Access Control (MAC) address of a networked device to a different one. The changing of the assigned MAC address may allow the bypassing of access control lists on servers or routers, either hiding a computer on a network or allowing it to impersonate another computer.

MAC spoofing is the activity of altering the MAC address of a network card.

Collapse -
MAC address 6252.4232.2210
by billz869 / February 19, 2010 12:04 AM PST

Has anyone ever seen a MAC address like this 6252.4232.2210 ? I found this on a network and it transmits lots of packets in one direction. Could it be a external device or maybe even a virus?

Collapse -
What does this
by Jimmy Greystone / February 19, 2010 12:38 AM PST

What does this have to do with the original topic? Don't hijack other people's threads. Start your own.

Collapse -
For what purpose?
by Jimmy Greystone / January 1, 2010 7:56 AM PST

For what purpose? MAC Addresses are supposed to be unique, so that computers on the network can tell one from the other. Spoofing the address can lead to all kinds of problems down the road.

Collapse -
RE:For What purpose?
by davidsimon64 / January 1, 2010 10:33 PM PST
In reply to: For what purpose?

Actually, there were some cases when I had to shift the corporate software to another machine and the license didn't work with the second machine since the license checked the MAC address, so I had to change the address. It also applies to similar situations like that.

Collapse -
That would be considered
by Jimmy Greystone / January 1, 2010 11:36 PM PST
In reply to: RE:For What purpose?

That would be considered software piracy, since you are almost certainly violating the terms of the license agreement by doing that. At the very least, you are clearly going against the wishes of the program author(s).

In the business world, your company can be audited and fined for this sort of thing.

So I'm afraid you probably just earned yourself a lock on this thread. Before I report this to a moderator, I'll mention that the proper and legal method for dealing with this is to contact the application vendor and ask them to provide you with some sort of solution. If they are unwilling/unable, then maybe your company should be looking for someone else to give your business to in regards to this software. In the interim however, don't go circumventing copy protection methods unless you like the thought of potentially bringing down several hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines to your company.

Collapse -
For the same reason ...
by Kees Bakker / January 1, 2010 8:13 AM PST

that, for example, some sweets are packed in a yellow paper and others in a red paper: because somebody designed it that way.

In case of software and hardware specs, be assured that this isn't a one man's decision. This is proposed and discussed and reviewed and approved before anyone makes anything.

If the end result is that some potential customers won't buy it, so be it. In this case, moreover, I think 99% of the customers (or more) won't care about it. You might happen to be one of that other 1%.

Kees

Collapse -
Unlocked because the OP writes ...
by Kees Bakker / January 2, 2010 3:51 AM PST

"I am writing because of the lockdown on my post. I understand what Jimmy meant but I want to clarify that the software for which I did this is made by the company I work for and I took written permission from the developer before performing this (infact they instructed me to do that for testing in the LAB). This was exclusively for testing purposes only and was done by permission. So, the copy rights is not violated in this case. My mistake, I didn't mention the complete picture."

I feel that a question about routers is off-topic in the Windows 7 forum. But that's not enough reason to keep it locked.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.