PC Hardware forum

General discussion

changing laptop's graphic card

I have an Inspiron 1720 Dell laptop, and the current graphic card is an NVIDIA GeForce 8400m GS. I am looking to replace this with a better graphic card, but I have two questions. 1) How do I know if it is replaceable or not (is it stuck onto the motherboard?) 2) When I search for a particular graphic card (like on newegg for example) I get like 20 options for the same model number. What's the difference? Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: changing laptop's graphic card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: changing laptop's graphic card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you give me a link to one of those cards?

In reply to: changing laptop's graphic card

Collapse -
GeForce 8800 GT

In reply to: Can you give me a link to one of those cards?

That is the same link that I used when I went to the Dell website, and since they are giving instructions for the 1720 on how to remove and replace the graphics card I figured that it was removable. I am thinking of replacing my current card with a GeForce 8800 GT or something along that line. Thanks.

Collapse -
Keep in mind I can't find replacements at Newegg.

In reply to: GeForce 8800 GT

And Dell tops out with what we've listed so far.

Please share a product from Newegg you thought would work.
Bob

Collapse -
tops out?

In reply to: Keep in mind I can't find replacements at Newegg.

Collapse -
(NT) You must be kidding....that won't go in a laptop.

In reply to: tops out?

Collapse -
similar to current

In reply to: You must be kidding....that won't go in a laptop.

What are the guidelines as to what will go in or not? I thought this would work because it is just a couple steps higher than my current graphic card (8400). And Bob, what were the 3 replacements you were talking about that you couldn't find on newegg? Thanks.

Collapse -
(NT) Do you have a desktop or laptop ?

In reply to: similar to current

Collapse -
laptop

In reply to: Do you have a desktop or laptop ?

laptop

Collapse -
(NT) What are you trying to accomplish with the upgrade ?

In reply to: laptop

Collapse -
better graphics

In reply to: What are you trying to accomplish with the upgrade ?

just overall better graphics if in the future I start to use graphic programs that will require such a graphic card

Collapse -
Better graphics ? Hope you're not expecting a lot

In reply to: better graphics

because it won't 'look' materially better ...just go slightly faster.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
one more question

In reply to: Better graphics ? Hope you're not expecting a lot

I understand what you're saying, thanks for the input. I looked on newegg for the 8600 GT that is supposed to be compatible with my laptop (I even contacted dell and the agent told me that the max I can get is an 8600M GT 256MB card) and I found this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130085

do you guys think that this would work? thanks

Collapse -
Greg....

In reply to: Better graphics ? Hope you're not expecting a lot

Please look at the link I provided and tell me where this PCIe card would fit in your laptop?

In short, your laptop does NOT use desktop PCIe cards. You have a laptop and as such there are limited choices here.
Bob

Collapse -
See the link I gave above?

In reply to: tops out?

Collapse -
PS. What dell offers is...

In reply to: See the link I gave above?

At dell.com. I see the GeForce 8600M, GeForce 8400M and GeForce 8400M GS so to change this you get the parts from them.

Is this clear now?
Bob

Collapse -
ahh

In reply to: PS. What dell offers is...

Yea, alright thanks for the help. I'll contact them about this.

Collapse -
what type of slot is it then?

In reply to: See the link I gave above?

Wouldn't the graphic card just go in place of my current 8400? Sorry about my lack of knowledge on this, I am just basing this on what the dell rep told me (that the 8600M GT would fit in my laptop, and to buy it from Dell it would cost 140$).

Collapse -
It's "custom."

In reply to: what type of slot is it then?

You seem to not be grasping that the PCIe cards you have shown are far too large to fit inside your laptop. If you don't believe us, go right ahead and order one?

At 140 bucks that's a BARGAIN compared to the usual cost of having to replace the entire laptop. Go for it.
Bob

Collapse -
i'll do it

In reply to: It's "custom."

Alright, I'll order it from Dell if it's a good deal. Again, sorry for my lack of knowledge on this and my apologies for the trouble. Thanks for the help

Collapse -
Like Bob said....check with Dell...laptops leave you few

options except at time of initial purchase.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
No....the GPU linked below is for a desktop PC

with a PCIExpress slot. No way such a card will ever work in a laptop.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.