General discussion

Changing IP Address 4 Safety

Hello
I'm a Comcast broadband user and was wondering if Changing my IP Address periodicly would help prevent a hacker getting control of my pc, what about it?
Thanks
Mike

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Changing IP Address 4 Safety
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Changing IP Address 4 Safety
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Q & A

Q - I'm a Comcast broadband user and was wondering if Changing my IP Address periodicly would help prevent a hacker getting control of my pc, what about it?

A - No, but a hardware and software firewall combo will help.

- Collapse -
IP

I too am on Comcast and thought that all the IPs were assigned DHCP and you couldn't change them?
If you are willing to pay about $50.00 you can buy a router that has NAT and SPI firewall and you won't have to worry about hackers.

- Collapse -
Re: Changing IP Address 4 Safety

Comcast changes your IP address after a certain lenght of time. You can also change it your self by going into the Control Panel and Click on Network Connections and right click on Local Area Connection and select Repair. Get your self a good firewall and don't just rely on the Windows Firewall.

- Collapse -
No "repair" option_Gotta "Rename" option

JJ,
Thanks. When I right click Local Area Connection there is no repair in the menu, but there is Rename.
Do you know how often comcast changes the IP address?

Mike

- Collapse -
Re: No "repair" option_Gotta "Rename" option

Strange. Which operating system are you running?

- Collapse -
I'm useing 2000

I'm useing Windows 2000 and Zonealarm.
I have been curious about the whole static IP address thing for awhile but never heard any suggestions 'bout changing the IP.

Thanks
Mike

- Collapse -
Re: I'm useing 2000

CNET Forums

Forum Info