Core. I have heard a lot about the compatibility of the two systems
and am not sure whether I will have problems after buying Apple's
Powerbook with their own OS.

At the moment, I use my laptop as follows:

Hardware: My usual peripheral connections are: Nikon digital camera,
wireless mouse from Microsoft, Siemens M34 USB device for connecting
and using my cordless landline handset Siemens S440 with Skype,
Sandisk USB flash drive, iAudio U2 mp3 player, Motorola Rarz V3 mobile
phone, internet connection using dial-up and in wifi hotspots.

Software: My usual software I use are: Office 2003, Acrobat Reader,
Skype , MSN Messenger, Firefox, Opera, Windows Media Player, webmail,
CA eTrust Internet Security Suite, and various software that I
download from the Internet.

Based on the above, could you please let me know whether I should
expect any problems if I migrate to an Apple computer? All my friends
use Windows PCs and my computer at work is also installed with
Windows. My main concern is compatibility of software and hardware
rather than getting used to a mac OS. Could you please let me know
what you think my most common areas of problems might be specific to the above or in general?

Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Changing from Windows Laptop to Apple's Powerbook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Changing from Windows Laptop to Apple's Powerbook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For the most part
by joesmithers06 / March 19, 2006 10:00 PM PST

I don't see any significant problems. Virtually everything you list software wise either has a native Mac version, or there's a program that functions the same way. I also think you'll find that Office 2004 for the Mac is considerably better than Office for Windows. The Office:Mac UI developers are really first rate.

About the only possible problem I see, is I'm not so sure how well your Siemens handset and MP3 player will work. Odds are just fine, but it's something you might want to look into.

Other than that, instead of Windows Media Player, you might want to look at VideoLAN Client (VLC). It's free, and much better than the absolute POS that is Windows Media Player for the Mac. You won't need that security software, since you really don't need spyware/virus scanners for OS X, and it already comes with a first rate firewall. There is a version of MSN Messenger for the Mac, but I'd suggest AdiumX instead. It's a free multi-protocol IM client, including MSN, and I think you'll probably like the tabbed conversation windows it uses. Also, you'll have to buy Office 2004. The system will probably come with an old copy of AppleWorks, which is pretty god awful IMO, and trial copies of iWork and Office 2004. iWork is better than AppleWorks, but I don't like it, and it's only a word processor and presentation program currently. Rumor has it Apple's working on a spreadsheet program for it too, but who knows. There's also OpenOffice, but sadly the Mac version is lacking quite a bit. There's the NeoOffice/J port of OpenOffice, which is better, but always a few versions behind the regular OpenOffice. I've tried using the regular OpenOffice on a Mac Mini, and the performance was pretty bad. Office 2004 is one of those rare Microsoft programs that's really worth it, so long as you don't need Access, because it doesn't exist for the Mac.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.