Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Changing Domain Names - Help Needed

by laupost / November 20, 2006 1:52 AM PST

It was necessary for me to change my domain name (know it isn't a great idea).

I have parked the new domain name on the old one so that everything is accessible. But of course if anyone tries to access the site with the old domain name, that will work as well.

Ideally I'd like to eliminate having that old domain show up in the browser at all. From what I've read, the best way to do this is with a permanent 301 redirect from the old domain to the new. This performs an immediate redirect and keeps the old domain from appearing.

I'm not sure how to do this. I think I need to create a .htaccess file with the code in it to tell the old domain to redirect. My web host has told me I can do it in an index file on the old domain.

I would obviously have to publish/upload all the files to the new domain name folder. I also have a large forum on this website. How do I transfer/copy the SQL database to the new domain name folder?

Is there anything else I need to do?

Or should I just leave everything the way it is now--it can be accessed with either domain name.

I'm familiar enough with tech things to do what's necessary but I'm just not sure about this situation and don't want to mess things up.

If you can help, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Changing Domain Names - Help Needed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Changing Domain Names - Help Needed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here is what I would do
by Sovereign Forum moderator / November 20, 2006 3:50 AM PST

First, you are still on the same host right... you simply just changed your domain name. If you are on the same host, you can ask them to make your new domain primary, so this will be the domain that is associated with your website. Then, I get all my domains from GoDaddy, so once I forward a domain to another, and choose NOT to mask, it's just a simply a forwarder and the new domain shows up even if I visited it through the old domain. From where do you get your domains?

~Ryan

Collapse -
Don't want data deleted
by laupost / November 21, 2006 1:28 AM PST

I have both domains on the same host.

If I make my new domain primary, it will reset everything--meaning all my data will be deleted in the process. That's what I'm trying to avoid.

Collapse -
A good host...
by Sovereign Forum moderator / November 21, 2006 5:06 AM PST

should create you a new account w/ new domain, temporary, and then transfer all your files, databases, etc over, and then remove the old one.... keeping everything intact (billing cycle, login, account info) on your new one. Or, they should be able to just "swap" the domain out....

On my host it was possible, they did it in a matter of a few hours, and I had absolutely no problems.

Did you ask them? If not, you may want to open a technical support ticket, or talk to someone who knows what they are doing.... usually reps are not that sharp when it comes to things they haven't been trained on.

Let me know how it goes!

Regards,
Ryan

Collapse -
You're right
by laupost / November 23, 2006 12:16 AM PST
In reply to: A good host...

Thanks Ryan.

I don't think the people I've talked to in support know how to "swap out" my domains. All I get is info that I can do a redirect. I know that...but that doesn't do what I want.

I think your idea of setting up a new account is a good one and a clean solution. I could then set a redirect on the old domain through the registrar and be done with it.

I appreciate your help!

Collapse -
what happens to SEO rank?
by rayoscar / October 27, 2009 5:55 PM PDT
In reply to: You're right

if you switch domains, what happens to SEO?

Collapse -
Domain Issues in SEO
by Andylim123 / July 13, 2010 8:11 PM PDT

The main issue with switching Domain is that We need to start from the scratch again and also all the things like PR and all will be gone.so better work on Same Domain and if getting problem then change the content.

Collapse -
BAD FOR SEO
by lopsinda / July 25, 2010 8:06 AM PDT

this would be very bad for seo

Collapse -
Change
by seohost / August 8, 2010 8:14 PM PDT

If you change your domain name then your site rank will fall in search engine and then you have to do start from basic. Think before changing domain name.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?