Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Changing Desktop Folder Location

by spellathon / November 2, 2008 6:47 PM PST

Hi there,
I am using Win XP Pro - SP2, Intel (R) Celeron (R) 2.00 GHz with 1 GB Ram.
I have just installed windows, I wanted to change my Desktop public folder location, which I did by modifying the registry key
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
I replaced the entry %USERPROFILE%\Desktop with E:\Desktop.
then I just rebooted my system to take effect.
After rebooting All other data on my E Drive has been vanished, and there are only two folders SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION and RECYCLER.
Where my all data has gone?
I have tried to use a data recovery software and it was showing my files, but I want to restore the data in its original structure.
Can somebody help me.?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Changing Desktop Folder Location
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Changing Desktop Folder Location
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why would you do that?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 3, 2008 7:44 PM PST

Since the Desktop folder is specific to the account it relates to, I would have guessed dire consequences in attempting to move it out of any User Profile into the root directory of any drive.

I wouldn't have done that, and if I had contemplated doing it, I would have backed up all my files on the other drive first.

Where are your backups?

I suspect you have made the whole of the E drive part of your user profile, but I am just guessing.

You didn't say whether using that data recovery software worked. Did you try recovering the files and backing them up to some other media?

I would try recovery and backing them up before attempting either to move the Desktop folder back to where it belongs, or even using System Restore to try and revert the procedure.

Strange.

Mark

Collapse -
Everything is ok now
by spellathon / November 4, 2008 5:23 AM PST
In reply to: Why would you do that?

yes I have recovered all my data from E Drive to another safe location, but the thing is, I went into SAFE MODE and logged in as Administrator, and when I browsed E Drive, I was able to see all my data intact. I logged off Administrator account, and logged back in (STILL IN SAFE MODE) with the other normal account (Which is of course an ADMIN account)... and Still in this account I was able to see all my data in the original form.
I restarted my PC back into NORMAL MODE and logged in and when I browsed E Drive, there were again only 2 folders...
It is very strange.. I still can't understand it.
May be its a problem with the file system or may be with security policies.
I went back into SAFE MODE and logged in with Administrator Account and tried to set permissions on E Drive but to no avail..
Whenever I am in Normal Mode, I am unable to view the original file structure...
Anyways, since I had recovered all my data, I just deleted that partition and recreated a new partition, and everything is working fine now.
Thanks for your kind support.
I am grateful.
regards,
Naveed.

Collapse -
(NT) Did you try System Restore yet?
by Steven Haninger / November 3, 2008 8:41 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!