Dear list...

I am using:

Software: Microsoft Word 2002
Operating System: Office XP, Home Edition 2002,
Service Pack 2
Computer: Gateway laptop,Pentium M
Processor: 1.73GHz
1.73Ghz, 1.25GB of RAM

My problem: I want to print my wedding vows in Index Cards and when I sized the card that I have on hand, they were 6 x 4s. Since there wasn't any same size in my Page Setup options, I tried changing my setup via the Custom Option. It was highlighted. I moved my mouse to type in my Width change but my paper size went back to the original 8.8 x 11". It seems that I can only change my page layout to the preset selections while my custom selection just don't work.

Please help...I am getting married this month and want to type in our wedding vows in Index cards for ease (like cheat sheets)of reading and I can't do it. I must have changed something in my computer's preference sometime in the past that I cannot recall now. If someone can help me immediately, please....I only have a week of singleblessedness to go...

Very sincerely,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Changing custom paper size...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Changing custom paper size...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let me share how I cheated.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2006 11:53 PM PDT

I left the paper size at the normal sheet size of 8.5x11 but put my content to fit on smaller sheet. I then put the small paper into the printer and did a test print.

It worked! While some may not like such a workaround I tend to just plow ahead, get it done and forget trying to set the paper size.

Collapse -
I agree
by entrecon / September 8, 2006 12:20 AM PDT

I just looked at it in office 2003 and I did not change to custom, I just typed inthe new sizes and it automatically went to custom with the new size. If this does not work, just plow ahead as suggested.

Keep in mind that most printers require a margin of about .5. Also note that depending on the printer you are using and the way it feeds the paper that an index card may not feed correctly if you feed it in long end first. you may need to rotate the text and feed it in short end first.

A final option is to print it out on normal paper and then cut the paper and paste it on the notecards. This is not perfect, but it will give you more printing area and will make sure you don't get a notecard jammed in your printer.

Collapse -
Re:Changing custom paper size...
by fmprodguy / September 8, 2006 11:35 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree

Thanks to everyone that replied. I did not stop until I sorted out my problem and it was the same as R. Profitt's suggestion that I was able to do. Entrecon's reply is also useful so I had copied and paste both your suggestion in Miscrosoft Word just in case I get into trouble again...^.^

Best regards,

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?