MacBooks forum

General discussion

Changes to MacBook Pro (13)?

by jennywren1420 / December 12, 2009 2:51 AM PST

Hi, all,

Somewhere I read that there might be some changes being made to the MacBook Pro (the 13" as well as others, I assume). Does anyone know about this, and if so, could you fill me in on what the changes may be?

Thanks so much,

jenny

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Changes to MacBook Pro (13)?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Changes to MacBook Pro (13)?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A Quick Search
by Zeuxidamas / December 16, 2009 11:25 AM PST

...of AppleInsider.com and MacRumors.com does not reveal anything in the recent streams. The last major thing I can remember is Apple reporting that their product line-up for the holidays was set, and that there should not be any expected changes. That, combined with the fact that they are having some quality and product delivery pipeline issues with their iMac line seems to indicate that maybe there will not be anything anytime soon.

Keep your eyes peeled in January for CES (07 - 10 Jan). While Apple looks like they will not be attending the event, all ears and eyes will be open on the computing market-space, so the timing would still be viable for product announcements; there may be more indicators then as to what they have planned for the MacBook Pro line, if anything.

Collapse -
Very useful
by jennywren1420 / December 16, 2009 1:39 PM PST
In reply to: A Quick Search

Thanks. This gives me some more context and a kind of timeline. I shall indeed wait for the gathering of kindred (and not) souls in January. I keep hoping that Apple will regret its decision on having the battery not so readily removable as it was in earlier models. Especially, because much that I have read about Snow Leopard makes the vaunted greater length of battery time seem a pipe dream, so being able to remove one battery and push in another one seems almost an essential. That's one "improvement" that is lost on me, but clearly, it's not something that is bothering many others.

Also, if your battery fails you, or you've used up your number of charges, you have to get Apple or an Apple retailer to come up with another one and probably replace it. I loved the idea of being able simply to pull out one battery and put in another one. (Fortunately, I never had to consider replacing the battery in my PowerBook till very recently. I used the laptop so much on the AC adapter, so the battery was good for a very long time.)

Ah, well. I can rant on about that, but it won't do any good. Thanks again for looking into the matter for me. I'll check in on news in the early part of 2010. (Can it be? It sounds so far into this century!)

Jenny

Collapse -
Well Done
by Zeuxidamas / December 17, 2009 8:28 AM PST
In reply to: Very useful

What are you, Jenny, some kind of writer? Happy Seriously, a well written response. Hope to see you elsewhere on the forums and see some more of your input.

If I catch wind of anything, I'll try to return to this post and provide an update.
- Zeux..>>

Collapse -
Thanks for the kind words.
by jennywren1420 / December 17, 2009 11:38 PM PST
In reply to: Well Done

No, I'm not a writer?at least, not by profession. I just was lucky to have been exposed all my life to language used well and without affectation, through my parents, books and elsewhere. If it sounds as though that "took," I'm glad.

I shall keep an ear out, too, for any developments on the MacBook Pro. Thanks again.

Jenny

Collapse -
New MacBook Pro; incremental improvements?
by David Blaikie / December 18, 2009 5:30 PM PST
In reply to: Very useful

I?ve just bought a 13? MacBook Pro 2Gb/160Gb HD / 2.26GHz.
I also own a 13? Black MacBook 4Gb/250Gb HD/2.2GHz Bought 15th Nov 07
The key differences are:
The MB Pro is a physically noticeably small, noticeably lighter and very shiny.
The display is much richer crisper and more vibrant. The improved display is by far the most important significant improvement.
My old Black MB has a 667MHz bus speed, the new silver MBPro has a bus speed of 1066MHz. I cannot say I?ve noticed any real world speed differences between the two machines although the MBPro will slow down if too many programs are opened ? that?s just a lack of RAM issue.
I upgraded the RAM on my old MB from 2Megs to 4Megs, it was seriously easy.
I upgraded my HD from 160 to 250Gb, it was also seriously easy (Thank you Timemachine!).
The MB Pro is sealed and needs a tiny screwdriver to open to upgrade, so I probably won?t upgrade it.
My old MB Battery is easy to replace. After 2 Years usage the stats are as follows,
717 Power cycles (ie over 3500hrs usage), rated charge of 4720mAh or 94% of the new rated capacity, so replacing the battery isn?t yet an issue.
The New MB Pro has done 21 Power cycles and has a rated charge of 4992mAh.
The New MB Pro has a slightly longer battery life , an extra 30 ? 60 minutes but nothing more.
The differences are evolutionary not revolutionary.
MACTRACKER claims the MacBook Pro was launched June 2009

Collapse -
Interesting data
by jennywren1420 / December 19, 2009 12:35 AM PST

Thanks. I really was thinking of whether there will be changes to the MacBook Pro, but I appreciate your taking the time to provide this comparison.

I tended to use my old laptop computer on AC a lot. That makes the length of battery life less of a consideration. I have wondered about whether not being able to remove the battery means that it will wear out sooner, but I haven't a clue. Once my old desktop G4 gives up the ghost or finally becomes too slow or limited to serve me well, I shall probably use the laptop (with an external monitor) as my only computer and use it every day, many hours a day on AC and off, making it important for me to understand the pros and cons of a removeable battery.

I agree that having the larger HD and more RAM can make a difference. Whatever I decide to buy, I shall probably pay the vendor to expand on the basic configurations. I keep my computers for a really long time, and that could enhance the prospect of my doing the same with a new laptop.

Jenny

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?