Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Changed User Name for XP - now locked out

by avonw / June 26, 2005 11:15 PM PDT

I'm running WinXP Home, SP2, no network. One user, so no log-on required.

I was trying a 'tweak' program, and used an option to change the Windows user name from ''user'' to my own name.

Now when windows boots, I get a log-on icon for ''user'', and clicking on it (or, for that matter, on ''Turn Off Computer'') does nothing.

If I boot up in Safe Mode, I get 2 log-on icons:
''Administrator'' and ''user''.
Neither icon does anything, so I am completely locked out of Windows.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

AW

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Changed User Name for XP - now locked out
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Changed User Name for XP - now locked out
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try repairing Windows...
by John.Wilkinson / June 27, 2005 3:11 AM PDT

Hey...same thing happened to me yesterday, except after installing some faulty drivers from ATI. Completely corrupted my logon (except Safe Mode worked for me).

If you can't logon to Windows at all, your best bet is to repair Windows (like I did). Check out this guide, created by a Microsoft MVP. However, be aware that this isn't 100% foolproof. If something goes wrong, you could loose all of the data on your computer. (Happened to me a few months ago, so I was a little hesitant this time...fortunately it worked.)

If you'd like to explore other options, give us a shout back with the name of the "tweak program" you used. There may be an easier/less risky method of fixing the problem.

Hope this helps,
John

P.S. You can change your user name in Windows XP without using a tweak program...just go start->control panel->user accounts->iser name->change name. With this method, you won't risk corrupting Windows logon.

Collapse -
See if
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 27, 2005 4:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
Not that difficult
by Yew / June 27, 2005 5:16 AM PDT

Just press Ctrl-Alt-Del twice at the login screen, and it should change to two text boxes. Type in the new user name, along with the password, and you should be able to get in.

Might not be a bad idea to use the tweak program to put things back, then use the user account control pannel program to change the user name.

Collapse -
You might also
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 27, 2005 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Not that difficult

want to create a 2nd user with full Admin rights, just in case your own account ever gets corrupted again.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks... Fixed!!
by avonw / June 27, 2005 11:03 AM PDT

Thank you all...

I tried yewanchor's suggestion 1st... I'm back in!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.