Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

change to shell32.dll

by Kiai / January 23, 2006 12:23 AM PST

Hi,

My AVG scanner detected a change to file ''shell32.dll''. The rest just had the file name and then under ''result/infection'' it had ok.

When I have changed the filter to display viruses only this has stayed. This is what it says.
Object..............................................Result.........Status

C:\WINDOW\system32\shell32.dll......Changed......Changed

I am using WinXP home. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance, Kiai x

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: change to shell32.dll
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: change to shell32.dll
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ahem* me again
by Kiai / January 24, 2006 12:23 AM PST
In reply to: change to shell32.dll

Hi there
Soz to be a pain. If no one can help me with this could someone tell me where I can learn about shell32.dll and stuff like it?

Thanks in advance, Kiai x

Collapse -
Sorry for the delay
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 24, 2006 4:53 AM PST
In reply to: ahem* me again

Shell32.dll is a Microsoft dynamic link library file and should be in C:\windows\system32\ folder. If it is/was anywhere else, then this points to an unwanted change or addition, the sort you get from a virus.

Please do a search of your computer for Shell32.dll and make sure you only have one, in the System32 folder. If Search comes up with nothing, (eg AVG has moved it to quarantine), what effects have you seen on the computer? Have you rebooted it since the window came up?

What were you doing when the AVG window appeared? Have you made any changes lately, eg Windows Updates, install any programs, surfing the internet, etc?

Mark

Collapse -
Shell32
by Kiai / January 24, 2006 5:26 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry for the delay

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I started AVG myself to do a routine scan. I've done a search for shell32.dll and apart from the one in the C:\windows\system32\ some things came up about service packs and uninstalls.

I have done Windows Updates, installed programs and been surfing the internet, (my niece also sent me some files to open whilst we were chatting on MSN. I haven't noticed any changes on the computer. I will say this though, I noticed this change within AVG once before but then it disappeared (don't know how) but now it's back again.
Thanks again Mark

Kiai x

Collapse -
Let's see what happens then
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 24, 2006 6:15 AM PST
In reply to: Shell32

Hi Kiai,

There doesn't seem to be any permanent damage to your system although it's a bit strange that AVG would report a change and then do nothing about it. Possibly one of the Windows Updates installed a new Shell32.dll, or changed the existing one in some way? But I've recently updated Windows myself and my own AVG didn't notice anything. In fact I've just done a test run in AVG of a single folder and the System areas and it reports Shell32.dll as no change.

So, let's see what happens and if in a few days or a week or so there is no obvious effect, you can perhaps remove the entry in AVG's Virus Vault.

As a matter of interest, when you receive files from your niece via MSN, do you scan the files first with AVG before opening them? Theoretically AVG should scan everything you try to open and pop up with a warning if there is a virus present, but I like to be sure and save attachments, files, etc to my desktop first and then scan them with AVG before opening them.

Mark

Collapse -
Shell32.dll change
by Kiai / January 24, 2006 6:39 AM PST

Hello Mark,

I appreciate your time. I did a scan on just the system32 folder and nothing showed up. I then did a full scan and there it was again, shell32.dll - change. I then noticed that further up the screen there was another one without the change. They appear to be in exactly the same place though C:\WINDOWS etc.

Any ideas??

Many thanks again, Kiai x

P.S. I haven't been scanning files but I will be from now on

Collapse -
Similar problem
by pearljamkornfan / January 24, 2006 2:19 PM PST
In reply to: Shell32.dll change

I have this as well, but haven't noticed any adverse effects. I posted about this in another post and people didn't seem to think it was a big deal. The reason when you scanned just the system32 folder and nothing showed up was because you arent doing a full system scan. When it does a full system scan, it checks all the system processes/handles in memory and doesnt view them as just "standalone files" as opposed to just scanning a specific area of the drive. Like I said, I've notice this so-called "problem" for a while now, and have had no adverse effects. Good Luck!

Collapse -
shell32.dll
by phantazy / January 24, 2006 6:39 PM PST

This is an icon file provided by windows. I would say any change to it would indicate that a Microsoft application had altered it (Windows Update perhaps). In any case I cannot see any malware being involved unless it was designed to specifically target windows icons, which are add-ins anyway. If you go to 'Properties > Customise > Change Icons >' this file will open, so you can change the icon asocited with your application/file. BTW there's another file called 'moricons.dll'!

Collapse -
I tend to agree
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 25, 2006 3:31 AM PST
In reply to: shell32.dll

The only thing I am a little curious about is it's location. You said it was in your C/Windows folder, but it seems it should be in the C/Windows/System32 folder.

There are others, a Search on mine brings up copies in C/I386, C/Windows/$NTUninstallKBxxxx, (where xxxx are M$ Knowledge Based upgrades), C/Windows/$NTServicePackUninstall and C/Windows/$hf_mig$ folders. These are expected as they are backups or copies from updates.

See if you have the same and in particular one in C/Windows/System32 folder and not C/WIndows folder. The copy I have in my System32 folder when I look at it's Properties is a Microsoft Corporation file and version 6.0.2900.2763.

Mark

Collapse -
Shell32.dll change (Oh dear!!)
by Kiai / January 25, 2006 8:10 AM PST
In reply to: I tend to agree

Hello there,

After an AVG scan it says that both Shell32.dll's are in the same place (C/Windows/System32 folder.)

When I do a search, $NTServicePackUninstall etc are there also but only one shell32.dll shows up leading back to the system32 folder.

I've looked in Properties of the shell32.dll and it is the same as yours, Microsoft Corporation file and version 6.0.2900.2763.

I've also looked in the AVG virus vault and it's empty.

If it's not in the vault I can't get rid of it, can I? I haven't noticed any changes to my computer but I was a bit concerned as to why this had happened.

Oh dear, how much trouble am I causing?? Sorry Plain

I really appreciate all your help.

Thanks again everyone, Kiai xx

Collapse -
No need to worry
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 25, 2006 10:54 PM PST

I wouldn't worry about it Kiai.

The 2 instances reported in AVG seem to be the same file, and as it is a genuine Microsoft Corporation file I would just accept that it has been changed somehow, probably by a Windows Update.

Mark

Collapse -
Cheers Mark
by Kiai / January 26, 2006 3:53 AM PST
In reply to: No need to worry

Thanks Mark,
I deleted the AVG7QT.DAT file in the root directory of C:\ and the change disappeared. I still hav two shell32.dll's but they're both ok now. Thanks everyone for all your help.

Kiai xx

Collapse -
This might help you
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 26, 2006 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: Cheers Mark

Hi again Kiai,

I have just run a full scan with AVG and it displayed two shell32.dll's, and one had changed. Also changed were user32.dll and ntoskrnl.dll. But no virus was found and nothing in the Virus Vault.

So, I'm just accepting this as an M$ update of some sort.

Mark

Collapse -
Thankyou
by Kiai / January 26, 2006 6:38 AM PST
In reply to: This might help you

Thanks Mark,
I appreciate all your help. If you're not concerned then neither am I Happy

Kiai xx

Collapse -
shell32.dll
by george.com / February 3, 2006 2:39 AM PST
In reply to: I tend to agree

Strange world..whilst running avg I looked at this forum and guess what..I have shell32.dll with a changed status.and again likewise a further copy showing as ok.
Is the general opinion that we leave well alone.??

Collapse -
Yes
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 3, 2006 3:38 AM PST

Hi George.

I've done a few scans with AVG now since this came up and notice this change, (and also user32.dll), everytime.

I reckon it's shown this everytime, and I have just never noticed.

I have no problems, my computer runs fine, and so I am happy to say it is not important.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Changing icons 'n' stuff
by Kiai / January 25, 2006 9:18 AM PST

Hey there Phantazy

Ta for the reply. When you said ''If you go to 'Properties > Customise > Change Icons'', where did I have to go to do this. (Properties of what??) Thanks for your time and patience.

Kiai xx Happy

Collapse -
Right Click
by phantazy / January 25, 2006 10:58 AM PST

It's usually used with applications, system files and the like. If you choose a program say, Microsoft Office in your programs file, and right click on it, you'll see properties at the bottom of a drop down list. It comes after create, shortcut, delete, rename, etc. Click on it and you get either three or five tabs with the final one being 'Customise'. Choose this and you get a box saying 'chance icon'. Click on this and you get an open shell32.dll frame with all the available icons. Or in this mode choose 'browse' and pick any image on your computer.

Collapse -
IEFix and Shell32.dll
by Cursorcowboy / January 25, 2006 10:39 PM PST

1. Click Start, Run, either type or copy the following command there and then press ENTER to register/reregister the DLL:

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

2. Else. If you have the "IEFix" file - a general purpose fix for Internet Explorer (Win 98/ME/2000/XP) that everyone should have, simply run it.

Collapse -
Thanks Cursorcowboy
by Kiai / January 26, 2006 3:59 AM PST
In reply to: IEFix and Shell32.dll

Hi,

I'd already deleted the AVG7QT.DAT file from my C drive when I got your message. The change is gone but I still have two shell32.dll's, even after I did what you said.

Cheers, Kiai xx

Collapse -
Change to Shell32.dll
by jurknisha / January 7, 2008 5:45 AM PST

I also face the same problem when I run AVG scan. But I have major problem. My computer does not recognise my DVD drive. When I check in Devide manager it saysthat the dirveris loaded but the computer cannot find the device. Please Help!!

Collapse -
Change to Shell32.dll
by sentakki / January 13, 2008 10:41 AM PST
In reply to: Change to Shell32.dll

hello, im new here, im currently facing the same problems as mentioned too. basically the avg always reply as there is a change in shell32.dll, i did all the scanning and still, the message is still here. also, Im currently facing problems in getting connect to streamyx, i did a search on google and found an info stated problems in shell32.dll might also cause you not to able to visit certain website etc. and these is what im facing too. i called to streamyx hotline and did whatever i can and the technicials also replied they did the checking for me but this have been happened for more thant 1 month... im so fluctuated and hope to find out what else can i do in order to get connected to www... anyone pls help. thansk.

Collapse -
That change to shell32.dll notified by AVG
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 13, 2008 7:05 PM PST
In reply to: Change to Shell32.dll

is common and the accepted consensus is that this is a normal part of AVG's scanning process.

So your problem with accessing or connecting to streamyx is most probably unrelated to AVG.

Is streamyx your broadband Internet Service Provider, (ISP) from http://www.tm.net.my/html/pstreamyx.cfm ? You didn't say.

If so, then what problems are you experiencing? Can you browser the internet with a browser? If not, what error message are you getting?

Do you use a firewall? If so, possibly the firewall is blocking access.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!