Computer Help forum

General discussion

change partition drive size

by skabrt / October 29, 2004 11:21 PM PDT

I have a Sony Vaio WinXPhome 512Mram with an 80 gig hard drive. Sony allocated 16 gig to my "C" drive, and 64 gig to the secondary "D" drive. Can I increase my "C" drive without losing anything now stored on the "C" drive?

Why would Sony only give me 16 gig on my primary "C" drive? I am at 14 gig on "C", and want to put alot more on it. Also, what should I use the "D" drive for? Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: change partition drive size
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: change partition drive size
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: change partition drive size
by Hounddog / October 30, 2004 12:19 AM PDT

The only way I know of to change partition sizes without losing anything is to use partition magic. some people like to use partitions,I have 3, C for operating system, D for everything that has to be installed, such as games, viewers, utilities. E for storage photos ,music and downloads.

Collapse -
by Yew / October 30, 2004 12:45 AM PDT

You can use programs like Partition Magic, but there's no promises that it won't end up destroying everything on the drive anyway. So always be sure to have backups.

Anyway, that being said, it takes some people a little getting used to, but you can install programs on drives other than C:. While most will require a couple of DLLs to be put on the C: drive, the installer will take care of all that.

Partitions can be a useful sort of poor man's backup device. While Windows doesn't have the same level of application and operating system separation Unix does, and thus even if apps are installed on another partition, they need to be reinstalled along with any OS reinstallations... They can provide a useful means of storing backups of documents and other such things. Still better to have a CD/DVD burner or some other method of backup, but partitions can be great interm solutions.

Collapse -
They did it for good reason.
by Ray Harinec / October 30, 2004 12:51 AM PDT

Won't explain here but since Windows treats a partition as if it were a separate drive, a partiton can be reformatted without affecting the other partition.

What they failed to do is train you or tell you how to use partions.

You need to have the discipline to not allow programs to install on the C drive. Force them to install on the D drive. If you always use the custom install for a program you will always get the option to change where the program installs, and many give the optiuon for a normal install, just have to read the dialog boxes at install.

Most programs show a default location as C:Prograsm Files. So simply create a Program Files folder on the D drive and when a Program offers C: Program Files as the install location simply edit the line to change rthe C to a D. Different programs allow the edit different ways, many give a browse option and yo simply select the location. Note that when a program install on the D drive it will still install a small amount on the C drive related to .dll and other links. They will never really add much to the C partition but are necessary.

These links are the reason that when you now move the programs from the C drive to the D drive, you will need to reinstall them to reestablish those links, however if you move the program tand all of its files to the D drive and reinstall it, you will not lose the data the program will simplw reinstall over itself PROVIDING that you install it to the same location on the D drive that you moved it to.

My understanding is that XP's file and transfer wizard can do that for you, but I have never tried it. Check its help file.

I'm currently installing XP Pro on another computer and later today or tomorrow will add a drive full of programs and then try to use file and transfer wizard to save having to reinstall the programs.

Collapse -
XP's file and transfer wizard
by billzhills / October 30, 2004 2:35 AM PDT

will only transfer settings and files. All applications on new drive will have to be installed first.

Wink

Collapse -
"a partiton can be reformatted without affecting the other..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2004 2:50 AM PDT

"a partiton can be reformatted without affecting the other partition."

Sadly I have first hand experiences this is not always true. The primo example is a drive with one of those Drive Extenders installed. Names like Drive Manager, Ontrack, Maxblast, Ezdrive and others.

If we have such a drive and we format the boot area, the entire contents vanish.

The end result is a more experienced owner that now has learned why people told them to backup.

Bob

Collapse -
by billzhills / October 30, 2004 1:05 AM PDT

skabrt,

Best set-up to have. Use Drive "C" only for applications and operating system. Drive "D" for all your files. All my systems are set up this way.

This allows you to re-install windows and your applications without having to move your files out then back in. (does not replace Back-ups)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?