PC Applications forum

General discussion

change Netscape 8 cache location?

by roopie / December 23, 2006 4:06 AM PST

Can anyone tell me how to change the location of the cache for Netscape 8? I want to move the cache to my RAM drive. I have been all through the Options and can't seem to find a setting for the location of the cache. It seems like it was easier, or at least more obvious, in previous versions of Netscape. I have tried to edit the prefs.js file by adding the line:

user_pref("browser.cache.directory", "B:\\Netscape\\Cache");

but that didn't seem to work. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: change Netscape 8 cache location?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: change Netscape 8 cache location?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Isn't it Edit ... Preferences ... Advanced ... Cache?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2006 4:59 AM PST
Collapse -
Sorry but....
by roopie / December 23, 2006 5:07 AM PST

...there is no <Preferences> option under the Edit menu in Netscape 8. Like I said, it was easier or at least move obvious in previous versions on Netscape. There is a <Options> selection under the Tools menu in Netscape 8, but I cannot find therein any reference to the cache..

Collapse -
I haven't run version 8. Off to netscape.com then.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2006 5:11 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry but....

Be back in a few.

Collapse -
It's on netscape.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2006 5:15 AM PST

Just wondering if you looked.

http://community.netscape.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?webtag=ws-nscpbrowser&nav=search&q=cache

"#1 ? Question about NB 8 cache
... further I found that if the following key is added in the "about:config" settings then one can move the NB 8 broswer cache to another disk and / or directory. The key is: "broswer.cache.disk.parent_directory" then set the value of the ... [ 6147.2 ]
Netscape Browser | Dec-2 | by SamVin | View in discussion (3 Messages)"

Collapse -
Thanks Robert, but....
by roopie / January 7, 2007 12:09 AM PST
In reply to: It's on netscape.com

...I have gone into about:blank and entered the following strings:

broswer.cache.disk.parent_directory
value = B:\Netscape\Cache

browser.cache.directory
value = B:\Netscape\Cache

Niether of which seem to make a damn bit of difference. The Netscape Cache remains under the current user in Documents and Settings.

What am I doing wrong?

Any help GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you.

Collapse -
Just a thought.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2007 1:17 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks Robert, but....

Avoid the A and B drive letters. Historic reasons here, I won't dive into the source code to see if they ignore these letters. Also, use DOS 8.3 filenames. Get that from the command.com prompt.

Also a restart is likely needed.

Bob

Collapse -
But the B drive is my RAM drive....
by roopie / January 9, 2007 8:27 AM PST
In reply to: Just a thought.

...whic is where I want the cache. How can I avoid the B drive???

Collapse -
Change the ramdrive to other than A or B.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2007 8:41 AM PST

There are historical or code issues with a and b.

Go to plan c.

I'm unsure why you want to do this, but won't discuss that. Maybe you are trying to mimic what SANDBOXIE does?

Bob

Collapse -
I want to do it because...
by roopie / January 11, 2007 6:26 AM PST

...I want all cookies and cache info to disappear when I shut down the PC. I don't want any cookies or cache info written to the hard drive.

I re-named the RAM drive to "E" and made the appropriate entry in about:config, and re-booted the machine, still to no avail. The Netscape cache remains under the Documents and Settings folder for the current user. Why won't it change??? Time to go back to Netscape 7?

Not familiar with Sandboxie. I would prefr not to run yet another application when the RAM drive is supposed to perform this function, but I il check it out.

What is plan C?

Collapse -
Get the source code and dig through it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 11, 2007 8:45 AM PST

It's either a bug or you didn't do it right or it's not allowed.

"I don't want any cookies or cache info written to the hard drive."

So why not portable Firefox?

And if you feel this is a bug, why not report it?

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks, but...
by roopie / January 12, 2007 1:13 AM PST

...I'm through screwing around with Netscape. I HAVE gone to Firefox. It automatically deletes all privacy data when you close the browser.

Thanks for all your help Robert!

Regards...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?