Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Change location for storing my documents

by bently / April 7, 2004 11:42 PM PDT

Using Win XP home

From...
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,114821,00.asp

Relocate My Documents

(2K, XP, 98, Me) The first tenet of good file management is to keep your applications separate from your work documents. Windows even encourages this practice by giving you a folder called My Documents, which is located on your C: drive by default. But you don't have to put your data where Microsoft wants you to put it. To redirect the My Documents folder, right-click the icon and choose Properties. With the Target tab in front, click in the Target box and type the path to the drive and folder where you want to store your files (see FIGURE 2). In Windows 98, you can click Browse, select the folder, and click OK. If the folder name you type doesn't exist, Windows will create it for you. Recent versions of Windows will also offer to move the contents of the existing My Documents folder to the new location; feel free to click No if you want to reassign the My Documents location but don't want to move existing files.

My Documents Properties/TARGET/Target Folder Location...

"C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents"

Tried to change this and windows will not allow to be changed or deleted

Any suggestions on how to change this to something else?

Thanks

Ben

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Change location for storing my documents
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Change location for storing my documents
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Change location for storing my documents
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2004 11:52 PM PDT

The passage you cited is too generic. Let me comment that a right-click, properties on the My Documents item on the desktop reveals a Move button.

It's also interesting that in Word (or in my case Open Office) I can save my file where I want. It doesn't have to be in My Documents.

As such, why would I need to change this?

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Change location for storing my documents
by bently / April 8, 2004 12:02 AM PDT

Hi Bob,

Properties on "My Documents" has 3 tabs... Target, General, and Sharing. NO move button.

I can save to different location also, but have to manually change to where I want to save. Default SAVE location is My Documents.

Ben

Collapse -
Here's a picture.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2004 12:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
by glb613 / April 8, 2004 7:47 AM PDT

Have you check the options for saving your documents? Most programs allow you to change the default destination folder.

Collapse -
by Pretender / April 8, 2004 11:05 AM PDT

The following says specific, but who knows?:

How to Change the Default "Save As" Location in Internet Explorer. This is specific to Win95/98.

This is written originally to change the "My Documents" folder (the "Personal" value they talk about in the article.) But you can change the "My Pictures" location there too.

First, create a "My Pictures" folder in the directory you want. Then run regedit. Browse to the 2 strings mentioned in the article. Change the path for "My Pictures" to match the path of the new "My Pictures" folder you just created.

Collapse -
[NT] Are you on Administrator account?
by Gakada / April 8, 2004 6:41 PM PDT

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!