Computer Help forum

Question

Change 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage' page

by nholst / April 17, 2012 6:55 PM PDT

If it is possible, how could one change the appearance of the 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage' in, IE9(.0.6)? Transparant would be nice, but a plain color without text would work as well.
Tried googling it offcourse, but could only find people having problems getting the 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage' which isn't a problem at al for me, I just like to be it less obvious.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Change 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage' page
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Change 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage' page
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Your only hope
by Jimmy Greystone / April 18, 2012 12:09 AM PDT

Your only hope of doing this would be in a customization kit Microsoft tends to provide in a low key manner, because it's aimed more at businesses that want to put their name or some such on the browser. Think like how a lot of times you may get a new computer and it will say maybe "Internet Explorer provided by Dell" or whomever. Not sure if it will let you go and alter something like you want, but that would be your best (and quite probably only) hope. I forget the name of the program now off the top of my head, but surely someone will be along who remembers, or I've probably given you enough info to start googling for it on your own.

Collapse -
Half the solution
by nholst / April 18, 2012 6:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Your only hope

Still no clue what the program you're mentioning is called, tbh I never really used or owned a branded/factory PC.
But, reading your answer gave me new insight on what to look for. So thanks a lot for your effort and insight. Happy
So after some nightly research, i managed to fix half of my problem. Happy
What I've found so far:
Internet Explorer uses ieframe.dll.mui (located in the: C:\Windows\System32\en-US and C:\Windows\SysWOW64\en-US folders)
Loading them with a resource editor (like ResEdit) will give acces to its content, locate: DNSERROR.HTM which is the page IE(9) uses whenever it encounters a DNS error, hence the name. Happy
Replaced it's content with a simple HTML without any content, just added a transparent background.
Saved the file (Save as)
Then removed both the original ieframe.dll.mui (have to take ownership and change permissions to be able to) and copied my version to both folders.
Starting IE(9) and browsing to a page I know gives the error show that it works, no info, no nags, no picture, just a blank page. Happy
However, on pages using frames, which contain a website giving the error still gives the same old error page.. :/

So hopefully Ill find out how to fix that as well.
Ofc any help is apreciated. Happy
Ill keep you posted.

Collapse -
change the standard IE 9 error page
by panchalsandip2608 / February 11, 2013 10:00 AM PST
In reply to: Half the solution

I am trying to change the IE error message as per the steps you have mentioned..but it doesn't take any effects.

I have updated ieframe.dll.mui at both places (located in the: C:\Windows\System32\en-US and C:\Windows\SysWOW64\en-US folders) and restarted my PC, cleared internet cache...but still I am getting the old standard error page.

Can you please help me to figure out how to make this working.

Just FYI, my application will be deployed on a touch screen panel in IE in kiosk mode. So all the tool bars and address bar will be hidden. Now if the website goes down for some reason, there is no button to refresh the page or to type the url or the website in browser. So I want to replace the default IE error page and want to put a button on that. So the user/admin can reload the webpage (reconnect to the website) by clicking the button (instead of restarting the entire touch screen panel machine).

any help will be much appreciated..

Sandip

Collapse -
Same scenario
by sizlac / November 23, 2015 7:02 PM PST
In reply to: Half the solution

Hi I have exactly the same situation as you. Same requirements and when I change the ieframe.dll.mui with resedit and restart the error screen does not change.
Did you ever find a solution to this?

Collapse -
Answer
Right under my nose
by nholst / April 18, 2012 7:09 PM PDT

Writing my reply gave me an idea.
Right Under the DNSERROR.HTM (in the HTML folder, inside ieframe.dll.mui) you will find DNSERRORDIAGOFF.HTM and DNSERRORDIAGOFF_WEBOC.HTM
Which contained the same page, so edit them as well, as before. and it works, with frames now as well.
Also the transparency works (only on frames ofc).

For people wanting to achieve the same: just follow my rambling. Happy
For transparency I used:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN">
<TITLE>DNS ERROR</TITLE>
<STYLE type="text/css">
BODY { background-color: transparent }
</STYLE>

So, thanks for the help Jimmy!
Case closed (no clue how to)

Collapse -
BTW
by nholst / April 18, 2012 7:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Right under my nose

BTW

ieframe.dll.mui
located in the: C:\Windows\System32\en-US and C:\Windows\SysWOW64\en-US folders
However use search on your (most likely) C:\Windows folder since it's based on the language settings (en-US/nl-NL of whatever Windows you installed.)

Sorry for the spam, just thought it would be helpfull and couldn't find a way to edit my previous comment.

Collapse -
Good to see you solved it
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 18, 2012 7:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Right under my nose

but I'm intrigued. I know I might regret asking, but why do you want to do this?

Mark

Collapse -
Cleaner look when blocking some of the more annoying ads
by nholst / April 18, 2012 7:46 PM PDT

Personally I use it give a cleaner look when I block some of the more annoying ads.
I do not have a problem with ads on itself, but the ones with the very distracting, usually flashy, bad written, resource hogging ads you'll find every now and then (like wowhead used to have some years ago, for example). So those ads end up on my host file, which in return give the DNS error page, which just isn't a pretty sight.
Just plain text is fine, non distracting or stationary ads are fine as well, I do get the concept of getting income to be able to continue running a website, program or whatever it is you do.

Of course it could be use for all sorts of things, like Jimmy mentioned if one would like to customize IE to their likings, I'm sure you'll be able to edit much more this way.
With a Resource editor you can also change the icon's programs use etc.

Hope this answers your question and doesn't make you regret it.

Collapse -
Ahh, no regrets at all
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 18, 2012 7:53 PM PDT
Happy

If I understand you rightly, it isn't the error page you get if the browser fails to load a web page, (the one that offers a retry or a check for solutions), but just the parts of any page that fill with ads.

If so it seems a neat way to do it.

Not for me though. If IE had add-ons like AdBlockPlus and NoScript to block such things I might use those, but sadly not. So I use Firefox with those add-ons to give me the same cleaner effect. Lazy I guess.

Thanks for letting me know.

Mark
Collapse -
Good :)
by nholst / April 18, 2012 9:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Ahh, no regrets at all

Not exactly sure if we're on the same page (pun intended)
So to make it as clear as possible:

It's the 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage' page. example
You'll get this page mostly if the DNS fails, but when you're blocking (or redirecting to 127.0.0.1) websites in your host file, you'll get the same result ofc.
To show you what's the difference exactly, I've temporarely blocked the ads on this website (just for this example, since we all know this website obviously)

example:cnet

The reason I did all this was indeed because IE does not have AbBlock/NoScript.
Recently, after getting annoyed of the annual reinstall of Windows (because of all the crap) I've decided to reinstall it one last time, using Deep Freeze to keep things save. (as is) So now I'm working my way to the ideal install (for me). Just begun, so I don't even have FF yet, just tuning windows itself, and I believe that making IE more attractive is part of it. But eventually Ill end up using FF as main browser.

Hope this makes it perfectly clear

Collapse -
Yep, the same reasoning
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 18, 2012 9:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Good :)

as your CNET example with the 2nd image. The placeholder for the advertising is still there but the IE 'cannot display...' message replaces the advertising.

This is what I see with Firefox, with the ABP and NoScript add-ons;
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/4066/myexamplecnet.jpg

I mention NoScript although I doubt it has any relevance to what we are talking about in this instance.

I did have a couple of custom CSS Style Sheets to remove other elements of CNETs pages before a recent upgrade. They had social media icons top right that kept updating so I removed them. But the recent upgrade to CNET changed the look of that.

But you can see from my own image the effect is the same as yours. I like your method!

Mark

Collapse -
:)
by nholst / April 18, 2012 9:54 PM PDT

Yes, ABP cas also remove frames, not sure if that is possible without somesort of an addon.
So ofc ABP does a better job removing rather than conceiling ads, as my method only replaces the error page for a transperant one, therfor still having the frame, just without any content and thus not drawing attention.
But achieving almost the same, without any additional stuff (addons or whatnot), just some tiny alteration to windows components isn't a bad way either Happy

NoScript is able to block (as default if wanted) javascripts, which do not really block ads, as most ads do not rely on javascript (flash could), but rather makes sure that sites can't do nasty things. Unfortunately you have to accept a lot of site since most do not function without scripts, but still, a preffered and save method.
Always used the Element Hiding Helper as well, just click on the frame you want to remove.

Thanks Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!