Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Challenging (or, impossible?) Movie Music File Conversion.

by analyzerbunny / June 16, 2007 4:57 AM PDT

Hello,

The game Descent 3 (?ancient? I know) has two intro movies before the game menu loads.

One, titled ?Dolby1? and the other titled ?Intro?.

Both intro movies contain awesome music tracks, music I would love to be able to listen to without having to always load the game.

The ?Dolby1? file is a MV8 file.

The ?Intro? file is a MVE file.

I have tried opening both with several applications including Windows Media Player, iTunes, Quicktime and InterVideo WinDVD and none of them can access the files and run them.

Does anyone happen to know of any applications that may be able to convert and/or run these files, so I can perhaps rip the music to my hard drive?

My computer system basics:
Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Challenging (or, impossible?) Movie Music File Conversion.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Challenging (or, impossible?) Movie Music File Conversion.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try ...
by Kees Bakker / June 16, 2007 5:02 AM PDT

if Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) will record it if you play it. Then save it as .wav or .mp3. It works for streaming audio from the net. Should work for everything that flows through the soundcard.
I'm afraid it's not purely digital, because the program records the analog variant. But it will be good enough.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Am Getting a Win32 Error Message
by analyzerbunny / June 16, 2007 6:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Try ...

Hello,

Thank you so much for the tip.

I took your advice, downloaded and installed Audacity and attempted to open one of the movie files.

Unfortunately, I got the follwing error message, a message I forgot to mention in my intial post which kept popping up when I tried to open the Descent 3 files with the other applications...

"E:\movies\intro.mve is not a valid Win32 application"

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you, again.

Collapse -
You shouldn't open the file with it.
by Kees Bakker / June 16, 2007 6:23 AM PDT

Run Audacity, press Record (the red circle), then start your game, and Audacity probably will capture the sound. When ready, press Stop (the yellow square), select the part you want to save with the mouse and File>Save Selection as .wav or as .mp3 or as .ogg (for .mp3 you need to download additional package, as explained on the download site).

Audacity, when using it like this, can be compared with a tape recorder or cassette recorder. You may need to experiment a bit with the settings.
I'm using it right now to record my LP collection via the line-in of my sound card. And just the same it should record this sound generated by the game. Worth a try.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Success!!!
by analyzerbunny / June 17, 2007 3:23 AM PDT

I don?t know how to thank you!

After making some adjustments and following your instructions, I was able to record the music I had wanted for sooooooooo long.

I also downloaded and installed the LAME program (3.97) to try to convert the music via Audacity to MP3, but even after downloading a decompression program which was able to decompress the LAME file and install it, I had nothing but difficulties trying to convert the music track from the Audacity save menu to MP3 with the LAME program. Nothing was working.

Fortunately, I was able to save the track in Audacity in the form of a WAV. file and add it to my Windows Media Player track listings.

Unfortunately, iTunes does not recognize or convert WAV. files, so I burned the WAV. file from Windows Media Player onto disk and then ripped it back into Windows Media Player as an MP3, and was then able to put the track into iTunes, so I can put it on my ipod!

I was listening to it from iTunes as I began writing this.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

It?s so frustrating to hear music that moves you in some way and not be able to listen to it freely.

There really is nothing quite like the gift of music, and thanks to you, I can finally enjoy this wonderful music freely, even in the car! Happy

Collapse -
(NT) Good job. Glad I could help. Enyou the music.
by Kees Bakker / June 19, 2007 7:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Success!!!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!