Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Challenge for you wireless experts

I work at a place where my boss has cable internet. I recently purchased a laptop with wifi. The challenge is that I don't have access to my boss' computer. I want to plug a wireless router into the cable modem and use the internet while I am at work. I can't use the wired computer so I am hoping that someone can recommend a wireless router that is plug and play. Do i have to get into the wired computer to adjust settings before my laptop can connect to the cable modem via my wireless router? I will be bringing my router with me and taking it home when I leave. Is there any way that this covert op can work?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Challenge for you wireless experts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Challenge for you wireless experts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) one more thing

In reply to: Challenge for you wireless experts

both computers have
XP with sp2
The laptop has built in wifi it is a dell
the cable modem is a motorola I think it is a surfboard

Collapse -
What is the challenge?

In reply to: Challenge for you wireless experts

Basic connection is:

Modem -> Router -> PC/laptop

so just connect your wireless router to the Cable modem.. and configure your WiFi using your laptop.

Collapse -
modem config

In reply to: What is the challenge?

don't most modems need to be configured by the wired computer so that they will recognize/allow the connection to the router/laptop? Last time I added a wireless router to one of those surfboard modems I had to call motorola tech support and use the host computer to update the firmware on the modem and tweak some settings. In this case I don't have access to the host comp. In most cases should wireless routers just work like plug and play or do I generally have to change something in the modem config?

Collapse -
Usually you don't do anything to the modem

In reply to: modem config

What you will do is configuration on the router/Access Point, which you can acces through webbased utility from any computer that are connected.

You may also need to update your access point firmware.

Unless... the ISP specifically designated the connection for only 1 computer... which is uncommon..

Collapse -
many thanks

In reply to: Usually you don't do anything to the modem

I apreciate that you took the time to respond. I did't want to buy a router if I won't be able to use it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!