General discussion

Chair Lynchings

Racial event or just Morbid Humor?

I suppose some might laugh at it, others might be offended. Is it any different than burning someone in effigy? Burning GWB in effigy? This guy was in favor of hanging GWB and Cheney.

There have been others too. The Colbert Report urged Iran to burn Bush in effigy instead of Obama.

Slate has an interesting article on effigies and free speech.

"Is it legal to take aim at a representation of the president?

Absolutely. The First Amendment protects the right to free
expression, which includes the right to shoot, burn, or in any way
destroy an image of anyone including the president as long you're not
posing a "credible threat."

While hanging a chair in a tree is something that might upset some people, it seems mild compared to things done in effigy in the past to other political leaders. Also since it's an "empty chair" it's not like anyone's supposed to be in the chair anyway.

Some might think it's cute, others a bad joke, and some might be due to neighbors on opposite sides of an election wanting to "one up" the other.

I've never put a political poster in my yard, nor as I can recall ever put a political bumper sticker on any vehicle of mine. I just don't see the point of it.
Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Chair Lynchings
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Chair Lynchings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Obviously racist

Even you used the word "lynchings."

- Collapse -
I don't believe there's anything in the etymology of that

term that refers to racism. It predates the Revolutionary war and was not an uncommon practice in the old west where theft of livestock was a capital crime.

- Collapse -
I doubt the people who did it know any of that

The message is pretty clear to me.

- Collapse -
LIke you said......

lynching and burning effigys were fine for GWB and others and Barry asked to be moved up to their level, so he must endure all that comes with being a rock star. But what do I know? I still think his college records should be opened to the public since they are a topic of scrutiny and he is the one who asked us to trust him and said that his life is an open book. He owes Americans that much.

CNET Forums