PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Chaintech VNF3-250 won't power up

I've stripped it down to the bare essentials as is often prescribed.
Chaintech NF3-250
Athlon 64 3000
Heatsink and fan
Power supply 450W
front panel switcher

I know it's getting some power cause I can hear the high-pitch tone from the electricity. And I think I have the front panel connected correctly because the LED has a faint glow to it. Also when I press the power button the board makes a click sound then a long quiet beep when I hold the button. But alas it won't power up. I think I managed to clear the CMOS but there's no way to tell for sure. so, any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Chaintech VNF3-250 won't power up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Chaintech VNF3-250 won't power up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not sure that I understand the beep

In reply to: Chaintech VNF3-250 won't power up

when holding the power switch in Hold it in for 4 or 5 seconds and the system will shut down. Only takes a momentary contact to have the turn on logic activate.

The case speaker is connected, Yes???

Try putting in a stick of memory.

Did this system work at one time, or is it just getting assembled??? Wondering if it would normally beep.

Collapse -
Re: Not sure that I understand the beep

In reply to: Not sure that I understand the beep

when holding the power switch in Hold it in for 4 or 5 seconds and the system will shut down. Only takes a momentary contact to have the turn on logic activate.
I don't need to shut it down, but thanks for the advice anyway.

The case speaker is connected, Yes???
Haven't gotten around to attaching any speakers.

Try putting in a stick of memory.
1 gig in there

Did this system work at one time, or is it just getting assembled??? Wondering if it would normally beep.
It's mostly the same except the motherboard, processor, and power supply are new.

Collapse -
You missed my point. In your original

In reply to: Re: Not sure that I understand the beep

post you stated that if you hold the power button depressed you get a long beep. I was simply pointing out that you shouldn't hold it depressed if you are trying to turn the system on because it will shut down again if you hold the button depressed. Counterproductive.

In your initial post you said it was stripped and didn't list the memory. Now you say that there was a Gig in there. What else is different than you first told us???

Obviously if the mobo is new and the BIOS is a mobo item, knowing whether the prior mobo beeped is a moot point. LOL

Is it a new power supply? must be an ATX 12V for that mobo 2.01 spec or later to get the 4 pin 12volt power connector for CPU power.

Part of your post seems to imply that you have put this new mobo into an old case. If so, are you sure that a hex standoff that doesn't line up with the mounting holes of the new mobo, and should have been removed, isn't shorting the mobo out???????? Try mounting the mobo on a large sheet of carboard to fully isolate it from the mounting plate.

Collapse -
Re: You missed my point. In your original

In reply to: You missed my point. In your original

"post you stated that if you hold the power button depressed you get a long beep. I was simply pointing out that you shouldn't hold it depressed if you are trying to turn the system on because it will shut down again if you hold the button depressed. Counterproductive."

It's not like I was always holding the button down.

"In your initial post you said it was stripped and didn't list the memory. Now you say that there was a Gig in there. What else is different than you first told us???"

Sometimes I tried it in the case with everything connected, and sometimes I tried it stripped down to the bare essentials

O"bviously if the mobo is new and the BIOS is a mobo item, knowing whether the prior mobo beeped is a moot point. LOL"

Why are you telling me?

"Is it a new power supply? must be an ATX 12V for that mobo 2.01 spec or later to get the 4 pin 12volt power connector for CPU power."

You mean they still make PSUs without it?

"Part of your post seems to imply that you have put this new mobo into an old case. If so, are you sure that a hex standoff that doesn't line up with the mounting holes of the new mobo, and should have been removed, isn't shorting the mobo out????????"

But it aligns prefectly

"Try mounting the mobo on a large sheet of carboard to fully isolate it from the mounting plate."

done that.

Collapse -
Last two ideas.

In reply to: Re: You missed my point. In your original

1. the Reset switch is shorted so that the Master reset is always on.

2. Same result, the Power Go signal from the power supply is not releasing the master reset. I had a brand new Antec true power 430 about a month ago where all the voltages came up fine [checked with a DVM] the system wouldn't boot. The power go signal wasn't working [didn't change state to release the master reset to start the boot process]. [got a replacement via RMA and it worked fine]

Don't think I'll give any more ideas. You seem to resent it if I mention something that you already know. You COULD have been using an old power supply without the 12 volt connector, and yes you can still buy them.

Best wishes for solving your problem.

Collapse -
Question about after "clearing the BIOS"?

In reply to: Chaintech VNF3-250 won't power up

How did you do it??? Is the jumper now on the correct pins??? If the jumper is in the clear position the system will not run.

If you removed the battery, any chance that you took the tension out of the contact and are now making a poor contact on the batterry???

Collapse -
Re: Question about after "clearing the BIOS"?

In reply to: Question about after "clearing the BIOS"?

Question about after "clearing the BIOS"?
How did you do it???
Actually I was trying to clear the CMOS, as described in the manual. Disconnect the power supply. Set the jumper at 2-3 for 5 seconds then back to default.

Is the jumper now on the correct pins??? If the jumper is in the clear position the system will not run.
Yes.

If you removed the battery, any chance that you took the tension out of the contact and are now making a poor contact on the batterry???
Even pressing on it will not help.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.