HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Chaintech FX 5900 XT Vid Card Opinions please

by Brandon Eng / August 23, 2004 12:26 PM PDT

I'd like opinions on the NVidia FX 5900 XT vid cards (specifically Chaintech's, if possible.)

I'd like to upgrade from my ti4200; correct me if I'm wrong, but is the fx 5900 xt, just below the "Ultra" series? I'm a gamer, but not a super hardcore one. I'd just like some better fps, and nicer detail in games like Far Cry, which I'm currently playing. The fx 5900's need external power; I have a 450 watt PSU, so I don't think powering the card is an issue (also have 2 HDD, 2 optical drives, and a FDD.)

specs for the card can be found here:
http://www.chaintech.com.tw/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=14&PISNo=255

My local pc vendor is willing to sell me the card for $178; online prices range from $178-$215, so I'd be getting a good price.

Would appreciate input as to how well this card runs from anyone who has it; good gaming card, 3D, FPS? Heat issues?. All input appreciated. Oh, running XP pro w/AMD 2000+ chip, 512 ram @ 266 FSB, motherboard supports 8X. TIA!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Chaintech FX 5900 XT Vid Card Opinions please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Chaintech FX 5900 XT Vid Card Opinions please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi Brandon. maybe post this in
by Ray Harinec / August 24, 2004 4:27 AM PDT

Speakeasy forum. There is a guy named John Robie that is an avid gamer He's in SE all the time. Doesn't seem to show in the technical forums very much any more.

I'm certain that he'll be able to help you or steer you to help.

I just bought a Chaintech Ge Force MX 400, so I'm probably up to where you were three years ago. LOL

Collapse -
Re: Hi Brandon. maybe post this in
by Art / August 24, 2004 6:51 AM PDT

At least the force is with you. I am still with my steath3 s540 (talk about old!).

Hey Brandon, you got to stop doing these thing. You know what always happen when you tinker with your computer. LOL.

Collapse -
Re: Chaintech FX 5900 XT Vid Card Opinions please
by ozos / August 24, 2004 9:15 AM PDT

goto
www.tomshardware.com
go in there graphics/display section and look in VGA Charts III
The GeForce FX 5900XT is the GeForce FX 5900SE...they same thing, but they are actually the lowest 5900 Card, it goes like this

GeForce FX 5950 Ultra
^
^
GeForce FX 5900 Ultra
^
^
GeForce FX 5900
^
^
GeForce FX 5900XT/SE

The XT is a good card, not great but for $178 you should go for a $195 MSI RX9800 (Radeon 9800 128MB)
It's going to be faster and turn back better performance in AA/AF...otherwise the 5900XT/SE can keep up rather fine to the 9700Pro or 9800np (non-pro)
If you don't want AA/AF go for the 5900XT for $178
If you want AA/AF goto newegg and pick up the 9800Pro...IMO that would be best deal, if AA/AF isn't an issue with you than by all means go for the slightly less expensive and still very fast 5900XT...

Collapse -
Hiya Ray, Art and Ozos. Got the card
by Brandon Eng / August 24, 2004 10:17 AM PDT

Decided I didn't want to wait. The guy that owns the store told me he'd eat the card if Far Cry didn't play well. First the good news. Took 10 mins to install card, Nvidia drivers and OS picked up card right away. Fired up Far Cry, beautiful graphics.

Now the bad news. I had to of course pull all the cables out to get inside my tower. I've now lost the use of my usb hub, which also means I can't use any attached peripherals, including my wireless keyboard. The ps/2 KB works for everything EXCEPT the game! (You called it, Art).

I ran into this problem once before, and Ed O'Daniel suggested a fix for me, but I can't remember what the heck it is. Guess it's google time....Will let ya know how it goes....::sigh::::

Collapse -
Problem fixed. Great card for my needs.
by Brandon Eng / August 26, 2004 2:26 PM PDT

It took 8 hrs. after installing the card to get any keyboard functionality back. Then another 5 hrs. the following day to get the vid card to not lock up. After alot of googling, I found a bunch of hits that said *not* to install drivers above 60.85...but I didn't have that and had to go to the Chaintech site in Taiwan to d/l that for my particular card- which took over 12 hrs. I didn't have the NVidia drivers cuz the disk cracked when I took it out of the case. I sent an email to Chaintech about which drivers I should get, and they said to go to the NVidia site and d/l the same drivers (ver. 61.77) that locked everything up on me. DUH! Well, everything looks good now, Far Cry looks absolutely fantastic compared to what I had with the ti4200 (still a good card, imo.) I probably would have gotten a card a notch or 2 better, but this was the best card I could buy locally. Oh, well- guess I'll do that on my next system, which could be before the end of the year. I want to see how the AMD socket 939 boards do, and may go the AMD 64 bit route. Strange that my ti4200 card accepted the 61.77 drivers, while I got the "unsigned driver" message on the new card.

Collapse -
Re: Problem fixed. Great card for my needs.
by Art / August 26, 2004 4:29 PM PDT

Are you doing any video works with this computer? I was just wondering if this card help at all for that purpose (not that I can afford one..lol).

Collapse -
Re: Problem fixed. Great card for my needs.
by Brandon Eng / August 27, 2004 9:39 AM PDT

I have a TV tuner card for recording tv shows, and sometimes burn them to a RW disk and watch them at work, lol. I use the tuner card to capture analog vids I'm slowly archiving to DVD. I use the firewire port from the Audigy SoundBlaster bay to capture vids from my digital video camera. So the new card doesn't factor into my video capturing stuff.

The new card seems to be working well, but not at highest resolution settings, but I can live with that. Could be my system isn't fast enough to pump out the frame-rates I wanted? On a different note, I went back to the shop where I bought the card, and told the guy to "start eating" cuz he promised me the card would run great at highest settings, and if it didn't he said he'd eat the card. I was just busting his chops. We both agreed it's probably my system (I told him I wanted to buy a higher end card; he told me to stop wasting my $$, lol). To make up for my troubles, he gave me a brand new Motorola cable modem I almost bought at Circuit City yesterday for $60 after a rebate. My isp just upgraded broadband download speeds to 7MB/sec(!), so I don't have to rent a cable modem anymore. Good deal, huh. Do kinda wish in retrospect that I got a higher end card, but the guy probably did me a favor by not selling me one, lol.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.