Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

cfsserv: windows socket error

My friend has a Toshiba Satellite T2050, Media Center Edition, with Service Pack 2. When she turns on the computer it takes about 4-5 minutes for the background picture to appear. After another 4-5 minutes everything else shows up. An error box pops up with "cfsserv: windows socket error" The wireless network connection icon shows that there is a connection, but neither Explorer or Firefox will work. She recently downloaded McAfee Security Center. In the wireless network connection properties box, the tabs are "general", "configuration", and "advanced." There is no wireless networks option.

How can she fix this problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cfsserv: windows socket error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cfsserv: windows socket error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Go back to what worked.

In reply to: cfsserv: windows socket error

It's not uncommon to find a combo that doesn't work. Go back to what worked.

Bob

Collapse -
McAfee Deleted, No Change

In reply to: Go back to what worked.

She deleted McAfee, but after restarting it is still slow.

Collapse -
That's not going back. That's removing the last item.

In reply to: McAfee Deleted, No Change

I would have tried System Restore to a date that worked.

Bob

Collapse -
More Info

In reply to: Go back to what worked.

Based off a suggestion from another forum, she did the following:

Start
Run
Command
ipconfig /renew

the message she got back was
rpc server is unavailable

Collapse -
Same situation, same error

In reply to: cfsserv: windows socket error

I'm in the same boat: a recently purchased Toshiba satellite, Wi-Fi worked fine until today. Recently installed McAfee, (and it still worked fine). I plugged in a Bluetooth USB adapter last night, McAfee gave a warning about changes to the register and I mistakenly hit "do not permit" instead of "Permit". Next time I booted up, I found the problem you described as well. I suspect McAfee is blocking something (rundll??) but can't find any way to get McAfee to undo the block.

Will try the system restore if nothing else comes up--any pitfalls I should be careful of before proceeding?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.