Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Certificiate is Valid ?

I was attempting to enter a site (I think it was friend finders) and it asked to download a plug-in to be able to view this page. At 1st I declined, a popup came stateing I needed it to view page, I checked and the Certificate WAS VALID.
I ALWAYS have "save & close" both checked when I download stuff. I Thought this was a safe method to check for virsus's & etc. before opening a download.
When done it said I had the
Trojan Horse Downloader .Briss.A and to run AVG to remove it. Hopefully it will. Where did I go wrong at?
Just because a site is Valid does not mean it is safe or free of virsus and trojan horses? If this is true I guess I am confused on this trust issue. Please give me a short, to the point, simple & safe method, of downloading. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Certificiate is Valid ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Certificiate is Valid ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Certificiate is Valid ?

In reply to: Certificiate is Valid ?

What are you downloading and from where?

Collapse -
Re: Certificiate is Valid ?

In reply to: Re: Certificiate is Valid ?

I went here
http://www.ratemypicture.com/profiles/51467.shtml

and it wanted to install a plug-in as I recall.

I have ran AVG and it found nothing. I am attempting to run Housecall's online scan but the active update is @ 79% and has been at it since 2:50 am and it is now 5:30 am. How annoying.

Once download was done it gave the info I stated as well as another popup stateing that the download had an error and wanted to know if I wanted to continue on without this piece of the file or not, so I selected NO. Im thinking that AVG stopped it before it was able to complete and since I chose not to continue on perhaps it canceled itself out.

It never did actually get to ask WHERE it was to download the ??? (file or plug-in) to. Normally it ask where to save it to. Without confermation Im thinking it was not sucessful, but Im not sure. Thanks!

Collapse -
Don't visit such sites.

The site has numerous items I'd be concerned about. It looks like it tried to drop a number of things on the test machine when I tried it.

Just a suggestion. I'd place such a post in the Security Forum since I see security issues.

I'm adding that site to my block list at the office.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: How do you define such a site?

In reply to: Don't visit such sites.

Just a suggestion. I'd place such a post in the Security Forum since I see security issues.

OK, I will take a visit to that part of the forum. I am still finding my way around @ CNET and recently filled out the Computer Info in my profile. Could you give it a quick check and see if it contains enough or too much info for future advise please. Thanks.

I'm adding that site to my block list at the office.

YW What was even more annoying was it wasnt even where I was headed nor did it actually relate to what I was in a "search" found list for. Cant advise any futher as the distraction and cleaning (cookies temp sites history & etc) has long past and lost intrest in what I was looking for to start with. lol.

How are you avoiding or lableing such a place? Being a bit novice of where I am heading when browseing I find it very annoying that the STATUS BAR is able to display information as it should. I have went as far as PROPERITIES to find where I am headed and this info seemed useless as well. HOW can a person tell what is comming up next?

Collapse -
Re: How do you define such a site?

In reply to: Re: How do you define such a site?

Many of such sites are already in HPGURUs HOSTS file. And we add more as we find them.

At office, lab and home, the policy is simple. We will be parasite free. We will also avoid Internet Explorer since malware writers target that browser.

Bob

Collapse -
For your reading pleasure.

Security and Certificates:

a. Valid only for the period of time specified within -- every certificate contains Valid From and Valid To dates that set the boundaries of the validity period. Once a certificate's validity period has passed, a new certificate must be requested by the subject of the "now-expired certificate" (Click to see screenshot - Autoenrollment Settings Properties).

b. One of the main benefits of certificates is that hosts no longer have to maintain a set of passwords for individual subjects who need to be authenticated as a prerequisite to access and use. Computers must be able to exchange information with a high degree of confidence in the identity of the other device, service, or person involved in the transaction.

c. Certificates can also be used to verify the authenticity of software code download from the Internet, install from a company intranet, or purchased on CD-ROM and install on a computer. Unsigned software--software that does not have a valid software publisher's certificate--can pose a risk.

d. There are four basic sources for the certificates found in the "certificate stores" (click to see a screen shot):

(1) Certificates included during the installation of Windows XP and came on the Windows XP CD.

(2) Application such as an Internet browser to engage in a SSL session, during which certificates are stored on your computer after establishment of trust.

(3) Chosen certificates when installing software or receive an encrypted or digitally signed e-mail from others.

(4) Certificates requested from a certification authority, such as a certificate needed to access specific organizational resources.

e. Supplemental reading: "Internet Explorer Connectivity and Certificate Display Issues (Q811383)."

f. It is not always desirable to use one set of credentials which roam ? part of the user's profile and encrypted (%Userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\My\Certificates) ? for access to different resources ensuring that if one password is compromised it does not compromise all security. Group Policy allows you to limit use of the Stored User Names and Passwords. In the Group Policy MMC snap-in:

(1) Double-click the Security Options folder (Computer Configuration, Windows Settings, Security Settings, Local Policies, Security Options).

(2) Right-click Network access: Do not allow storage of credentials or .NET Passports for network authentication, click Enabled, and then click OK, [Troubleshooting Certificate Status and Revocation].

Note: The certificates are stored in a location known as a certificate store -- the machine store used by the computer and the user store or My store used by the currently logged on user.

(3) "Behavior of Stored User Names and Passwords (Q281660)."

(4) "HOW TO: Manage Stored User Names and Passwords on a Computer That Is Not in a Domain in Windows XP (Q306541)."

(5) "HOW TO: Manage Stored User Names and Passwords on a Computer in a Domain in Windows XP (Q306992)."

(6) "How to create and use a password reset disk for a computer that is not a domain member in Windows XP (Q30547Cool."

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.