Computer Help forum

Question

Certain games cause black screen/sped up fans?

by crandazzo / October 6, 2014 1:26 PM PDT

I'll keep this simple by giving the facts; my computer is custom built, it's not cheap and it's absolutely fit for gaming. The computer itself runs extremely well as I use it mainly for designing, music and internet. The only issue is that when I'm playing specific games, even on the lowest settings, it causes my monitor to go black and my fans to speed up. I have to then reboot the computer, which anyone with Windows 7 knows is a hassle. I've attempted to play games with multiple graphics cards but no matter what I do it's always the same. I can run The Sims 4, Tomb Raider and Fable III on max graphics just fine but when I run Half-Life 2 on the lowest graphics it crashes pretty quickly. I've set my core clock to 405 MHz and my memory clock to 1000 MHz, which has helped significantly, but the problem still persists. I'll give my specs below and if anyone can help me I'd be very appreciative. I'm willing to go out and buy another motherboard or a processor if that's the case, whatever it takes to make my gaming machine actually game.

<span>Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.140303-2144)
<span>Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: GBT___
<span>System Model: NVDAACPI
<span>BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
<span>Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 925 Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
<span>Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8192MB RAM
Page File: 3170MB used, 13210MB available Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11DX
Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode
<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Certain games cause black screen/sped up fans?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Certain games cause black screen/sped up fans?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Isn't 405 overclocking?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 7, 2014 1:45 AM PDT

That explains a lot. The machine looks new enough to make this a warranty issue. Even if you built it.

Nothing jumps out except the comment on clock speeds.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Yeah right...
by Willy / October 7, 2014 2:04 AM PDT

You mention that you use the system for other things besides gaming but the fact is, it's all about gaming. I've stated in the past when it comes to gaming, no user is happy at a given level because sooner or later the gaming aspect is prime. The demands of gaming are asking for the utmost of your PC no matter what the build. EVERYTHING has to be top shelf and cooling is king. If you can't cool everything down then the weakest link fails. Quite frankly until that is addressed and done well, problems will arise. It maybe too late, something is weak or you've tweaked it too much and all cpu/gpu cycles aren't given any room for mistakes. A missed cycle means it trips and falls and causes an effect unable to recover from with manifests itself as a freeze, pause or some black/blue screen. If you've OC'ed throttle back or return to norms. If possible to cool better do so. If you can run you PC in a freezer/cooler, so so. If you can afforcd it, buy only the best, that have build-in heat dispensation(ie: ram modules). Heck, even a household fan placed to an open PC case may help.

I exclude any component that maybe "iffy", sometimes bad patch or design is found to be a cause. Afterall, some gpus are separated by speed difference, ram amounts, or pipeline width, or better cooling, etc, yada, yada. A big PC case is great because it offers more airspace, for air circulation, harness&cable routing(done well), additional fans, etc.. If yours is stuffed PC, review how it is put together, maybe it can be straighten-up, etc..

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?