Cameras forum

General discussion

Centrios DCS-228 Digital Camera

by wmike95 / May 29, 2004 12:41 PM PDT

Hello,

Received a 2M digital camera as a gift.
It does not require drivers for Xp.
I set it up on my XP Pro Laptop and it works fine.
The camera wizard starts up when the camera is installed (USB) and I can download the pics from the camera to the Laptop drive.
I have the same XP Pro on my Home PC.
I installed it and the camera set up the same way in Device manager (Two USB drives).
The camera wizard does not start up on my Home PC.

The PC Camera driver is installed and works fine but this is only for the web cam function.
I tried to uninstall the driver but get the same results.

My wife got the camera at Radio Shack.
The camera works well otherwise.

What setting could be different on my PC?
I have a HP all in one installed on my PC with a scanner. Could this be causing an issue?
Any help is much appreciated.
Mike W.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Centrios DCS-228 Digital Camera
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Centrios DCS-228 Digital Camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Correction ,should have been DSC-228 2Meg model
by wmike95 / May 29, 2004 1:06 PM PDT

The camera model is DSC-228 and not DCS-228
Sorry for the mistake!

Collapse -
Can anyone find any information on the Centrios camera?????
by snapshot / May 30, 2004 12:19 AM PDT

My first thought was to see if there are any updated drivers for that camera. That is where the mystery starts.

After many Google searches, all ended in a dead end.
No source of information for drivers or documentation.

My conclusion is that Centrios is a product label known only to Radio Shack Canada. They have a group of products with that name.

It is possible that someone within Radio Shack Canada has created a line of products (Centrios) that are purchased from more than one source. That makes it near impossible to trace the source of a Centrios product.

It also leaves you at the mercy of Radio Shack Canada for any type of support.

Is there anything in your documentation for the camera that mentions the actual manufacturer of the camera?

Collapse -
Re:Can anyone find any information on the Centrios camera?????
by wmike95 / May 30, 2004 2:56 AM PDT

I returned the camera.
The thing is that all digital cameras seem to work the same way with Win XP.
You don't require drivers (from what I understand) and the camera wizard should start up if the camera is PnP.
My laptop worked after some playing around but my PC wouldn't.
I image that any camera would do the same on my PC.
I have an intel based PC with a 2.5 P4 and 512 M ram.
I have had it only about 2 years now.
What could stop the wizard from starting.
The camera was recognised as I could see it in the device manager as two seperate usb drives.
Any ideas?
I want to buy a brand name camera but am concerned I will have the same issues.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Can anyone find any information on the Centrios camera?????

That camera was trying to be a do-everything camera.
A web-cam as well as a digital camera.

That usually leads to driver problems.
Also, good documentation is needed with that type of set-up. Sometimes the camera has to be in a particular mode when you plug it into the USB. Such as "read" mode.

Find a "known brand" camera and it will have the necessary documentation and support if you need it.

I quit plugging my cameras into my computer.
I bought a 7-in-1 flash card reader. XP recognizes the card reader and then you can insert the flash card from the camera.

Here is an example:

http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=CAM#Flash%20Card%20Readers

Scroll down to the flash card readers.

They are inexpensive.
Probably more in Canada.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Can anyone find any information on the Centrios camera
by warluck / June 28, 2004 10:59 PM PDT

Hi ,i try to find like you did infos about Centrios(radio shack)stuff but no results .This morning without searching like usual i found the clone or original camera ,if you search whit Google for a

Collapse -
by warluck / June 28, 2004 11:00 PM PDT

...(UMAX AstrPix 440 or 460) you find exactly the same model in bargain stuff at Radio shack .I sure Umax make those Centrios things .I hope that hint or search help you good luck. Warluck (I'm a french guy i hope my english is clear enough lol)http://www.eprom.com/home/Digicams/astrapix_440.htm

Collapse -
by warluck / June 28, 2004 11:04 PM PDT

Hi again ,...(UMAX AstrPix 440 or 460) you find exactly the same model in bargain stuff at Radio shack .I sure Umax make those Centrios things .I hope that hint or search help you good luck. Warluck (I'm a french guy i hope my english is clear enough lol)http://www.eprom.com/home/Digicams/astrapix_440.htm

Collapse -
Re:Can anyone find any information on the Centrios camera???
by jkult / September 17, 2005 6:30 AM PDT

One of the other replies promted me to change to the display stored images mode on the camera, and it worked fine after that. So the camera must have to be in the view stored image mode to operate as a mass storage device. Win 98 SE.
j

Collapse -
Re: Can anyone find any information on the Centrios camera??
by Slayer / July 9, 2004 4:26 PM PDT

Hello there,

I am a RadioShack manager in Canada and I thought I would answer your query. Centrios is exclusive to RadioShack, I hope you have a great store near you that would be happy to give you support on this product. In the meantime I am going to look into getting you a customer service phone number as I know I have one at work. I will be in touch.

Collapse -
by goldlion / July 21, 2004 11:36 AM PDT

Thanks, Slayer. I have just today bought a Centrios 324 camera and cannot get it to work. I am running windows 98 SE. I did go to Microsoft.com to "update windows for mass storage function support" as required in the user's manual supplied with the camera. there does not appear to be anything at microsoft that allows the update required. Any information at all is appreciated. unfortunately, there will be a lot of returns if the required downloads are not readily available. I, too, would like the number of a customer service rep. thanks

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2004 11:39 PM PDT

Just to be clear, I am not offering any solution or support to your issue.

But want to share that many USB issues are noted with solutions at http://www.usbman.com

But it won't help if it's a bum product.

Bob

Collapse -
by Bigbuds / July 23, 2004 10:40 AM PDT

Hi, i just got a Centrios 324 too today and i cant transfert the pictures on my winxp pro fr pc,and i did install the cd software and driver.

When i plug the camera in, it only stay on for 3 sec and then power off. It did ask for video and picture driver and they are installed but it just wont stay on.
S:

Collapse -
by snapshot / July 23, 2004 11:38 AM PDT

If I were you, I would run (not walk) back to the store where you bought the camera and get your money back.

If you read all the messages in this thread you know that, so far, no one knows how to get support for that camera.

It appears that Radio Shack Canada is unprepared to support the camera.

Collapse -
by Bigbuds / July 23, 2004 12:23 PM PDT

Well,

i just found what was wrong, the camera have to be in plaback mode for the camera to act as a storage device.

doh ;P

Collapse -
by dave115 / November 25, 2004 2:15 AM PST

hey im davy and I bought a new centrios digital camera, the model number is 251-8124 and I can't get the mp3 player to work I don't know if it's my computer or the camera but it really isint working, like you plug it in the usb drive, and then everything is working great, but then it brings me to this file that I don't know what it is so I can't download songs on my mp3 player. It sucks because I payed alot of money and it doesnt even work

thanks

Collapse -
Information on the Centrios camera!
by burtonj / December 1, 2004 3:27 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: Information on the Centrios camera!
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 1, 2004 7:40 AM PST

I thought this was interesting:

"At Orbyx Electronics, we pride ourselves in providing quality products. In the event that something does go wrong, we would like the opportunity to make it right.

For warranty issues with any of our products, service can be obtained at any of our authorized retail stores."

They failed to mention where these stores are located.

Collapse -
Hello there davy
by sum1s_gurl / January 29, 2005 11:12 AM PST

I am having the same problems, my computer will not find my camera as a driver when it is in Mass. my computer does not even open a file or anything it just sits there with a blank screen... grrrr it is so frustating. I am having a really hard time with this camera.. it has been nothing but trouble, I bought it becuase it was a MP3 player and now it does not work.. the thing that really gets me chapped is I can't find any technical support anywhere. if you have found any tech support it would be great if you would send some help my way and if I see anything I will send it out your way..
thanks
Chantal

Collapse -
Centrios Camera
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 29, 2005 11:22 AM PST
In reply to: Hello there davy

Several people have reported: "for the computer to see files on the camera, the camera must be in playback mode".

Someone on the Digital Cameras Forum finally found a website for Centrios cameras:

http://www.orbyxelectronics.com/default.asp

Good Luck.

Collapse -
I FIGURED IT OUT!!!!
by Corie / February 2, 2005 4:18 AM PST

Hi! well like u, i also got a centrios DSC 324. i was so angry at first cuz the people at radio shack are selling people the wrong size batteries for the camera to begin with!!!(couldnt even use it on christmas cuz i didnt have right batt.size.).
Anyways today was the day i finally figured out how to put this camera to use. i dont know if u still even have the camera but im trying to help others like me and u.
What u need to do: first, got to www.orbyxelectronics.com
then go to centrios,then cameras, then support. there should be a spot where u can put ur camera info in scroll boxes.put the info in and download. this is the newest driver for ur camera. then go to scanners and cameras in ur control panel, go to add new camera and it should work.
For web cam, turn camera on, go to mode put in playback and plug in ur usb cable to ur camera while holding the shutter button. got to videoimpression and go to new.it should all work.
Hope ive been able to help!!

Collapse -
try going to... for centrios
by cokeisit / February 13, 2005 10:02 AM PST

Try going to this site and see if you can get any iformation. hopefully this will help you out. www.orbyxelectronics.com i see you posted your message in may 2004. hopefully you check back often.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?