Samsung forum

Question

Central station to 9 series connection

Question:

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Central station to 9 series connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Central station to 9 series connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Same problem

In reply to: Central station to 9 series connection

I have the same problem -- did you ever figure out how to attach via WiDi?

Collapse -
AHA

In reply to: Same problem

Now the question makes a little more sense with your question.

"Intel WidiIntel's Widi is a wireless display system built in to the laptop that works in conjunction with a Tv adapter"

If you didn't get a laptop with this feature, it's nearly impossible to get it added on.

There's also horrible discussions about how un-useful this WiDi is. The LAG alone kills it for some folk.
Bob

Collapse -
re: AHA

In reply to: AHA

My system DOES have WiDi and it is enabled. Any idea how to connect?

Collapse -
No. Here's why.

In reply to: re: AHA

The details are foggy to missing in your posts. I had to take a wild guess you were talking WIDI. And even then you would need to tell a lot more.

Frankly, this would work out of the box by following the directions. The details so far are too slim to guess what issue you encountered. For example some can't change the source input to the HDTV. Some don't have a HDTV and wonder why it didn't work.

There's also that burning issue about DRM content that is specifically documented as non-functional yet owners want it to work and ask how to fix.

Tell more, get more?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
You can get a new dongle

Samsung support tells me that the Series 9 will NOT connect to the CS without the dongle. The realize (now) that the dongle will not fit into the S9, so they are providing a new dongle. Just call Samsung support with the serial numbers of your S9 and CS.
Does seem a bit strange that Samsung's two newest products can't connect wirelessly without an extra dongle.

Collapse -
Thanks for the info

In reply to: You can get a new dongle

Thank you for the update, that is an ok solution IMO.

Collapse -
Answer
Same problem here

I bought the Series 9 / Central Station combo based on an article on Anandtech.com that claims:

"Update: As noted in the comments, Samsung uses UWB
(Ultra-wideband) for wireless connection. It's the most suitable for
small range connections which explains Central Station's 5 feet range.
Some laptops even have UWB built-in (e.g. Samsung 9 Series) so they can
connect to Central Station without the USB dongle."

I've tried to connect without the dongle without any success. As the original poster mentioned, the dongle doesn't fit the Series 9 usb port (due to the laptop's chassis) thus I now have an USB extension that connects my dongle. It looks terrible, and I might as well connect the Central Station to the laptop with USB.

I've called Samsung support, and they have no clue. I've asked them to contact me when they decide to get a clue, but I'm not holding my breath...

Collapse -
Answer
New models

I read an article that the series 9 is being refreshes to include a 256gb ssd and an i7 I wonder if the WIDI will be built into this one.

Collapse -
I have a new model

In reply to: New models

I have an A04 model with Intel wireless. It has the ability to do WiDi, but the CS cannot.
I have seen reviews that say that say both the S9 and the CS should be able to do Ultra Wide Band (UWB) wireless and that this is the way they should connect.
But, as mentioned by Roycecrazy, the Samsung support people know nothing about this.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.