General discussion

Census "success" stories

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Census "success" stories
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Census "success" stories
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
For some reason or another

I couldn't make out the name of the "Census Worker" (on their ID Card) that send the e-mail to Malkin, and I couldn't find it in the story...I'm not saying it isn't there...just I couldn't find it.

Perhaps it is a "story"

Would you have the persons name?

- Collapse -
OOOHhhhhh....I found it

It's A Nonymous,

- Collapse -
reminds me of a prison "make work" project

or maybe it was a study. A large pile of rocks or dirt at one end of a yard. Each day they were brought out and told to shovel it up into wheelbarrows and move to the other side of the yard. All work had to be completed before retiring for the day. The next day they would move it all back.

- Collapse -
If they worked real hard and got it done by 2:30

were they finished for the day, or would they work till the time it usually took, then start out in the morning with a pile at both ends of the prison yard?

If so, the next morning, did they have a problem remembering which pile they were "from" and which one they were taking "to"?

- Collapse -
read it again.

when the pile was finished, so were they. Until it was finished, everyone had to work. The exercise was designed to have them do "work" that they knew had absolutely no meaning, worthless.

- Collapse -
worthless.

No it wasn't...it kept their mind/hands/back occupied. No different that making posts (not wooden posts)

But if they ran with the wheelbarrow they could finish early.

They really didn't need a large pile..They just needed enough to fill all the wheelbarrows. They could push the wheelbarrow from one area to the other, dump it, then the guy fills it up, take it to the other area dump it, then the guy fills it up, repeat till the whistle blows......THAT would make them feel like it was worthless.

You see...going over with a full wheelbarrow...coming back with a full wheelbarrow.

PLUS they could never finish early.

- Collapse -
That was Cool Hand Luke

"What's my dirt doing in the Boss's hole?"

- Collapse -
I don't know

Read once about a guy who did something wrong. Spent a lot of time doing manual community service.

His opinion was that physical work that kept you busy but didn't require your mind gave you a lot of time to think about why you were doing it.

Roger

- Collapse -
it's not Obama money it's his/her/your money
20-something Tea Partier, and after reading about how much government waste was going to the 2010 census, I figured that I might as well ?git me some of dat Obama money?

Cash for clunkers, Census, take the money THEN complain....
- Collapse -
Very chuckle inducing...

I was a worker for the 1970 Census. That guy's story sounds about right. Only we didn't have computers or GPS.

We were assigned to the poor neighborhoods where people hadn't sent in the forms. It was hot and there was a lot of walking involved. Many of the people were very reluctant to answer any questions and most of them didn't speak English. I suspect many workers themselves just filled out the forms themselves. Creative writing.

- Collapse -
Perhaps you should outsource the Census

These guys are doing a Census...

India's census marks start of huge head count

India's census, a massive undertaking billed as the largest of its kind in history, is underway as more than 2 million census-takers fan out across the country to count the population of nearly 1.2 billion.

The census began on Thursday as President Pratibha Patil, the first citizen enumerated as part of the nearly year-long process, listed details of her address.

The census is notable for more than just its size. As part of this census, the country plans to create a national database of every citizen older than 15, complete with photographs and fingerprints. From that database, the first Indian national identity cards will be created.

The census will also be collecting a level of detail that is new to population enumeration in the country. Census-takers will collect information about the availability of toilets and drinking water, as well as the types of building materials used in residences.

Indian Home Affairs Minister Palaniappan Chidambaram says the size and scope of the census is unprecedented.

- Collapse -
I worked on the 2000 census

There was no asking anyone to slow down or not do their best. I don't know where these workers are located but it wasn't in Syracuse and it's suburbs.

Diana

CNET Forums

Forum Info