Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Cemetery Grass?

by James Denison / October 16, 2004 3:00 PM PDT

This was an odd story with a bit of twist on it. I mean dead grass for dead people seems odd enough, but Roy Rogers is buried here. Didn't he have his horse Trigger stuffed and mounted? So, whatever happened to poor Trigger, did he ever get laid to rest or is he still standing in some museum? Will he get some of this grass too? As much as I liked the Roy Rogers shows when I was a kid, I gotta admit things started getting a bit strange after that.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/features/strangenews/apress_101104_cemetary.html

The Sunset Hills Memorial Park cemetery is giving up grass in favor of artificial turf.

RelatedLink The Day's Top 25 Stories- NY, NJ, CT, US, Entertainment
RelatedLink Your Hourly Forecast

It's a move owners believe will save as much as $180,000 in water and maintenance costs over the next three years. The cemetery is the final resting place for cowboy stars Roy Rogers and Dale Evans.

"I actually believe it will revolutionize the cemetery industry eventually," said Sunset Hills co-owner Chet Hitt. He knows of no other cemetery that uses artificial turf.

Hitt originally started selling artificial turf just to people who wanted it for their family plots, but...

(more at link)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cemetery Grass?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cemetery Grass?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Trigger, Buttermilk and Bullet
by Diane Harrison / October 16, 2004 5:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Cemetery Grass?

are all out here in Victorville, California at the Dale Roys Museum. http://www.roadsideamerica.com/pet/trigger.html

Last time I was out there a few months ago though, I think they finally closed the museum down. It was an interesting bit of Americana, and had some fairly nice Western items on display. Here's hoping that they finally are giving Trigger a rest somewhere, although I thought they said something about just moving the museum items to another location.

We've got one poor guy who sits every single day, by the graveside of what I assume to have been his wife. For at least three years now, we have seen him out there, rain or shine, with a chair and fresh flowers talking to her. Sometimes the kids, who are grown, show up too, but he is there no matter what. I think it would devastate him if they put in astroturf or some such thing. I suspect that that is a large part of the peace he apparently finds there, having the scents of the flowers and the grass and trees around him. Somehow, that would seem a sacrilege to replace the grounds with artificial grass.

And perhaps I'm cynical, but I really doubt that replacing the grass would end up in lowering the costs to persons using the grave sites. Perhaps they could just change the type of grass they use to cut down on water. St. Augustine grass (?) I think, is one of the ones out here that only requires water once every six weeks or so. It's not quite as pretty, and a bit tough, but it might be a good compromise.

Collapse -
Re: Trigger, Buttermilk and Bullet
by James Denison / October 17, 2004 3:37 AM PDT

Maybe they should have stuffed Roy and put him in there on top of Trigger. Now THAT would have been a draw card. I think that St. Augustine (from Florida) grass is what this particular graveyard was trying to get away from. It is a very aggressive grass and can cover hard packed ground with runners, which ground later with thatch buildup and shielding from the sun, a bit of rain, starts to also give it support. Those runners can take over a place. I imagine that's what they are fighting there. They need a clump type of grass, but that requires reseeding every 3 years or allowing it to seed itself, which won't happen in an well groomed cemetery.

I wonder why they are closing down everything with Roy Roger's name on it? Relatives probably own the rights to use of his name.

Collapse -
Re: Trigger, Buttermilk and Bullet, and St. Augustine
by drpruner / October 20, 2004 3:04 AM PDT

That grass (related to the infamous crabgrass of the Midwest, I think) is great for home lawns: Low water, low maintenance, small areas can be thatched by hand. I believe you're right about the expense of large areas, though.

I don't know where you are, but Diane and I know well about So Cal's water problems. That's the up-side of plastic.

The down-side: It gets hot in the sun, so it has only grass's psychological cooling effect, none of the physical. The newer versions are quite attractive, though, (IMO).

Regards, Doug in New Mexico, (hot, dry, arid; plastic is big)

Collapse -
I'd rather put down
by James Denison / October 20, 2004 7:58 AM PDT

weed blocker screening and cover it in white marble chips. The rain goes in, rocks break the force of the rain, less runoff, weeds don't grow either, and in hot, sunny areas, it will help keep things cooler.

Collapse -
Xeriscape is the general term
by drpruner / October 25, 2004 12:53 PM PDT
In reply to: I'd rather put down

It's done in NM all the time. City of Albuquerque gives $ rebates on water bills for converting from grass.

Actually, some wouldn't like the chips; in fact there are many ways to do it attractively. I know because my wife designs landscapes out here. (Hope the mods don't think that's a commercial. Happy )

Regards, Doug in ... well, you know

Collapse -
I hate that stuff.
by W2X3XP / October 20, 2004 6:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Cemetery Grass?

Specially in a cemetery, it looks so fake. A cemetery should look dignified.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?