Phones forum

General discussion

Cell Phone Question

by morrow / October 30, 2004 11:30 PM PDT

What is the difference between purchasing a cell phone at a store such as Best Buy or Radio Shack vs. a true Verizon Wireless store.

Advantages vs. Disadvantages.

LG vx7000 vs. Motorola 710.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cell Phone Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cell Phone Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Cell Phone Question
by dman2507 / November 1, 2004 10:25 AM PST
In reply to: Cell Phone Question

To begin, some stores offer specail offers, and lower prices. There are diffrent "Features" each store will offer you. For instance Radio shack was offering to transfer the numbers you may have had on you previus equipment, although most sotres will do that if you ask them. If you want the most information and selection on phones i would strongly recomend going to the Verizon Wireless Stores instead of an authorized retailer.

Phone wize it is really what you plan to use the phones for. If you plan to take many picures with it, you could consiter both of them but on the other hand the motorola V710 does offer a MEGA PIXEL camera which adds clearity if you ever choose to print your photos. As well as the ever growing popular technology BLUETOOTH which inables you to transfer data and use headsets with out the hastle of getting costly and annoying wires. The motorola is loaded for the more "experence" cell phone user. If you aqre just looking for a nice phone that can be flashy dont pay extra and just stick with the LG. LG does have a rotating camera which is really a pointless feature to have with the shape of the LG's top.

I personally would purchase a V710, for the use of bluetooth, SD cards, and MP3 player.
But the LG is also a solid phone

Collapse -
by strykernyc / November 3, 2004 4:19 PM PST

LG = garbage

the best to do is call them directly and see the deal u can get, is like buying a car they always will try to rip u off and no matter the price u get u still losing.

best buy= bad because u can have problems returning a phone if u dont like it or have any problems. plus what does best buy know about cell phone? my little bro works there cell phone dep.

radio shack? i would rather buy a cell phone n the street n canal street from a homeless person than radio shack. radio knows jack.

if u go to the verizon store bring lots of $$$$

verizon is expensive no matter how u see it and is not even worth it because u dont get what u pay for. service "signal" not bad but everything else it is and cost $$$$$$ for every little thing u do. my fiance has verizon and the lg vx6000 buggy phone and so is the new one, she pays $85 for 800mins and free nights and weekends after 9pm and she receive 2 text msg and send one email and oh yeah she got this game which expire a month after what a joke lol and she cant dl free stuff from online because she needs to pay seperate so her phone can actually access the internet give me a brake. now here is me sprintpcs 800mins and free nights and weekend start 7pm friday finish monday 7am. free unlimited internet access email msg MBS i can dl anything free free i can upload anythign to my phone for free and take million pic and email them for free i can watch tv for free i can connect my laptop to my phone and be online 24/7 for free and doesnt use mins when u are online so basically i can be on my yahoo or aim or msn 24/7 free of any type of charge without loggin off, yes u can be n the internet and talk same time. that all for $65 that includes taxes. my contract is over i dont know what phone to pick now, $183 off any phone.

if u cheap and dont care much of service then get t-mobile $39 1000mins free night wkeend and msgs but dont complaint when u call ur girl and some guy picks up or if u talking and from nowhere there is actually 3 ppl talking n ur line lol oh yeah they will offer u free mins if u complaint to them.

Collapse -
by dave1973 / November 4, 2004 10:51 AM PST

It's true that you'll pay more to buy a phone through Verizon Wireless over an authorized agent. But at least you're getting someone that actually knows something about the service he/she sells. And yes Verizon Wireless charges more for their plans than the competitors, but why do you think their service has the lowest turnover in customers? Main reason is they have a reliable network. They spend a lot to make sure they cover their territory well. I upgraded 2 months ago to a Samsung SCH-a650 flip phone and it works better than my old Motorola 120c. Motorola doesn't make good phones anymore, which is why I didn't buy a Motorola this time around. My brother has the LG VX4400 and he hates it. And yes I wish Verizon offered nights and weekends starting at 7pm, but they have no intention to do so at this time. We're lucky that they decided to make mobile-to-mobile (IN-Networking) unlimited. Sprint offers unlimited nights and weekends starting at 7pm, but you must have a 2 year contract to have it included, or you pay $5 a month. Same with unlimited mobile-to-mobile. And regardless which service you get, you pay for internet if you use it.

Collapse -
by what_now3 / November 9, 2004 6:39 AM PST

Excuse a dumb q; but when I wanted to change vendors, I was told I couldn't use my existing phone even both used GSM. Said the phone was "LOCKED" to work only with my old vendor. If that is so how came you use one not bought from that vendor. Do they set a "LOCK" on your new phone, forever preventing use with anyone else??

Collapse -
by hh / November 9, 2004 11:01 PM PST

A locked phone will only work with the company it was locked for. However, the phone can be 'unlocked' by a cell phone store, for a fee. You can also buy unlocked phones on the internetr or through some stores, and they can be used on any GSM phone, provided it is an international phone, usually tri-band or quad-band.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?