Phones forum

General discussion

Cell Phone Hell, Verizon and good info to know.

by moonmv / January 24, 2006 10:10 AM PST

I resubscribed with Verizon last week. Before that I spent 2 hours on CNET's cell phone web pages. Here are some things that I learned that you should know:

Lose your cell phone and pay full retail for it, unless you pay $6/month insurance (ripoff!). I just bought a Moto E815 (no review found on CNET) after rebates, etc. it cost me $30. To replace it would cost $300!

Another cell phone company scam is if you need to replace your phone, you have to buy a phone made specifically for that company--sounds anti-competitive to me.

When my wife and I joined Verizon 2 years ago, they told us that every 2 years they'll give us a $100 off a new phone. Last week I asked about this and they said, it only applies to one of our phones eventhough I could swear that they said it applied to both phones.

If your old phone works well, keep it and don't get stuck in another 2 year contract. Perhaps just changing the battery will keep it running well.

Also, other than saving $100 off a new phone and submitting to 2 more years of cell slavery, we got no other benefits, not even a better calling plan.

One of the reasons I was interested in getting a new phone is that my old cell phone (a Verizon model) had crappy voice mail notification. Often there were long delays in being notified of received voice mails. The Verizon guy told me that the ''voice mail provider'' (who ever the hell that is!) is at fault.

So far I like my Moto E815 and the voice mail notification works well.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cell Phone Hell, Verizon and good info to know.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cell Phone Hell, Verizon and good info to know.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Verizon
by danvsanj / January 24, 2006 2:59 PM PST

I had Verizon but switched at the end of the 2 year contract. From the very beginning I noticed that every 2 or 3 months, my phone bill was increasing. The increase was never in the same place. If you have a calling plan and never exceed that plan then there should be no reason for your bill to increase. By the end of 8 months, my bill had already increased 2.00. Now that doesn't sound like much but when you multiply that by the number of customers then it is a lot. Verizon may have a better network but that doesn't give them the right to steal.

Collapse -
What area Do you live in
by jordo / January 25, 2006 12:46 PM PST
In reply to: Verizon

What area do you live in if you live in an Alltel service area I would strongly recomend it i have the Motorola V3c rzr and alltel service and i love it.

Jordo

Collapse -
Verizon
by danvsanj / August 31, 2006 11:06 AM PDT

This really had nothing to do with what area one lives in. With taxes aside, when you are on a calling plan (for the sake of argument, say a 39.99 plan) plus taxes the month bill came out to approx 45.00. Whether the bill is based on a flat tax (of 39.99) or on a percentage, if you never exceed your calling plan then there is no reason why your bill should continously increase. Since I changed to another carrier I have not had any increases except when I buy ringtones.

Collapse -
Probably new state fees.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / January 26, 2006 2:47 AM PST
In reply to: Verizon

I live in Texas -- the various (outrageous) taxes and fees change a 49.99 monthly bill for two shared fones to be just under $63 -- that's a total of 26% in taxes and fees. And yes, some of those have been added with time.
-- Dave K.

Collapse -
For mister_lay_z
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 26, 2006 2:44 AM PST

Sorry, personal attacks are not allowed in these forums.

Your post has been deleted..

Mark

Collapse -
Not True
by YoMac / February 4, 2006 1:10 AM PST

You must have gone to a cell phone store and not a real Verizon store. My wife and I have just finished our first 2 year contract and they gave us 100 credit towards any phone we wanted. My wife bought a LG8100 and we only paid 30 with the 100 credit and the 50 mail in rebate.

Collapse -
Not True
by dave1973 / February 6, 2006 11:01 AM PST
In reply to: Not True

I got screwed by Radio Shack when I signed up for Verizon Wireless service in March 2002. The NW Indiana stores won't have their phones insured in any way, and when i lost mine 7 months into my 2 year contract, they wanted to charge me $200 for a phone that was $175 at retail price. They said it wasn't insured, and I was going to have to pay full price. I went to an authorized agent down the street (a former VZW corporate store, that has since moved to Illinois), and explained my situation. While I didn't get my phone through them, they did call Verizon Wireless and got me a new phone for $80 through their oops plan. I don't know if Verizon Wireless still offers it, but in October 2002, the phone was a Kyocera 2235. But as part of the conditions of getting the phone through that plan, I had to start my contract over. It was better than paying for service that I couldn't use because I had no phone, or pay the ETF. When I went to Radio Shack to buy something I needed, not related to cellphones, they asked me when I was eligible for an upgrade. I told them 8/31/2004, but said to the sales person that I will never go through Radio Shack again because phone insurance is not an option with phones sold through Radio Shack. After the authorized agent that helped me get another phone moved his business to Illinois, and 2 authorized agents I didn't care for, I decided to get my phone at the Southlake Mall VZW corporate kiosk in Hobart Indiana. The process was much faster than it was through Radio Shack. I will look at the mall kiosk again, and possibly the kiosks at Circuit City on July 1, which is when I'm eligible for my next upgrade. Luckily I did have Lockline insurance on my current phone, as I had to replace it 6 months into my contract because it fell out of my pocket, and dropped hard enough on the concrete that the screen cracked. What I did wasn't covered under the manufacturers warranty, so I had to get a refurbished phone, but I wanted the same phone I had before, because I went through hell trying to find the right tri-mode flip phone, andd what I picked out on 8/2004, the Samsung a650, fit what I was looking for in most features, and worked out well for me.

Collapse -
Verizon - we're getting rid of 'em because of their service
by lesliep29 / February 4, 2006 10:58 AM PST

Our coverage has been good, price started out good but is now high - we had to sign one of those 2-year agreements to get the good price. DH works for a large company and we got the good price at a discount.

Phones have been another story. Mine died in warranty and it was like pulling teeth to get another. They tried to tell me I'd gotten it wet (I hadn't). They did replace.

DH's died 6 months ago. They wanted us to pay full price and would give nothing to us for being loyal customers. We had to wait til December to be able to buy him a phone. He called the business rep and screamed and she had an old phone she gave him.

I had my Samsung with Sprint for over 3 years and it was GREAT. When DH's Samsung died, he got a new one at their cost with no requirement to sign a new contract. But their price is higher.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!