HolidayBuyer's Guide

Phones forum

General discussion

Cell Phone & 911

by jmsfmtex / October 14, 2009 2:04 AM PDT

I do not have, nor do I want, a cell phone. Now that I have said that I would like to have one for emergency use (911) purposes. I do not know of any device, besides a cell phone, that would allow me to call 911. So I would like to have one, without any services, just in case I need to contact 911. I have 3 or 4 older models but would like to upgrade just in case the older models are no longer functional for the current connections. Would someone recommend one for this purpose?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cell Phone & 911
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cell Phone & 911
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Time to do a little research.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2009 3:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Cell Phone & 911
Collapse -
You may already have one that works fine to call 911
by Pepe7 / October 14, 2009 5:12 AM PDT

What are the makes/model numbers? A CDMA handset would probably be your best choice since that system is a long way from being replaced per se. In any case, we need to know what you have to know which one works. There's also the issue of the legalities of testing it out without there actually being an emergency. In this case I'd call the local non-emergency number (usually, 311) to see what they recommend for the non-user cell phone owner for emergency purposes.

hth,
Pedro

Collapse -
Cell Phone & 911
by billcuff / October 16, 2009 10:16 AM PDT

All cell phones have to be able to make a 911 call regardless of there being an active plan with a service provider. Does not make a difference if it is CDMA, GSM, 3G, 4G etc. The phone just needs to be able to power up and "see" a tower. A GSM handset will need a SIM chip. Keep in mind, that these handsets are really "radios" not "phones" in the traditional idea of a telephone. Far too many people purchased cell phones for emergencies and left them in the glove compartment of their automobile only to find out that the unit did not work when needed because the handset had no power due to a drained battery. These were called "glovebox" phones by people in the industry.

If you do not want to commit to a two year plan with a wireless company then consider buying a handset and use prepaid wireless cards that are available just about everywhere.

Collapse -
The OP may have a car charger already
by Pepe7 / October 16, 2009 11:52 AM PDT

You do bring up a great point about a non-regular user forgetting about the phone in the glove box and losing battery power though. Even if the handset battery is dead, it won't matter as much if they can simply use A/C (if home) or a car charger to squeeze in the 911 call.

Frankly though, it doesn't sound like the OP is tolerant enough of cell phones to even go prepaid ;).

Collapse -
my mistake
by Pepe7 / January 11, 2010 10:48 AM PST

I had forgotten that particular model has no memory card slot ;(.

You probably cannot mess with one of the sections if it at all impacts the ROM it shipped with.

Collapse -
try dialing "0"
by porsche10x / October 18, 2009 2:37 AM PDT

As mentioned, any old cellphone that works on a currently available network is supposed to be able to dial 911. Here's a way you can test the cellphone without making a nuisance call to 911. I can't promise this will work with every phone, but I have done it successfully with old unserviced phones before. Turn on the phone and dial operator. Here's a secret that few use. If you want to have a cellphone for NON-emergencies that you RARELY use, here's something that's even cheaper than prepaid. Just turn on the phone, call operator, and place a credit card call. Yes, that's right. You can "pay-as-you-go" on the spot with your credit card. No plan, no prepaid card, no nothing. Now, you will be charged an ungodly amount of money for the call, but if you want the phone for only rare occurrences, this is still cheaper than any prepaid plan. Even if it's $10 per minute, you don't have to worry about cards that expire, or some minimum monthly fee, or minimum number of minutes to purchase. You can keep the phone for five years, make one single phone call, then it works out to, what, fifteen cents a month?

Collapse -
Starting to go off reservation a little
by Pepe7 / October 18, 2009 8:53 AM PDT
In reply to: try dialing "0"

The dial '0' scenario only works if you maintain a prepaid/postpaid account. Not having a cell phone plan was the basic premise of the OP's inquiry. What you are describing used to work back in analog/TDMA days but no longer is plausible. You only have access to 911 with a phone that does not have current postpaid/prepaid service.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.