Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Laptops forum

General discussion

Celeron upgrade.

by niels2k / November 16, 2006 1:40 AM PST

I own an Acer travelmate 2201LC laptop with a Intel Celeron 2.6 GHz CPU. The batterylife wasnt too good so I tried to upgrade the cpu to a less power hungry model (the celeron eats up 70-something watts). First I got a Pentium M thinking that when it just says 478-pins it must be the same. So of course I found out that it doesnt physically fit in the socket (no fair, couldnt they have called it something else then?). I then found out that a pentium 4 m would fit in the socket, and now I finally got a hold of a 1.8 GHz Mobile Intel Pentium 4 M. When I installed it I saw that it doesnt have a thermal plate like the celeron making it slightly thinner. I put on some ekstra thermal grease to make up for the gap (not ideal i know) but when I turned the laptop on it just gave a short beep and turned off again.

If you dont want to read a long story skip to here:
-Is a laptop running a Celeron CPU not compatible with a Pentium 4 M CPU?
Niels K.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Celeron upgrade.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Celeron upgrade.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Humm ....
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / November 16, 2006 4:43 AM PST
In reply to: Celeron upgrade.

You need a BIOS Upgrade for your motherboard to accept the new CPU.

And maybe the BIOS doesn't accept the P4M.

ANd P4M is recognized to be not very good in term of battery life ...

Collapse -
What to do...
by niels2k / November 16, 2006 10:35 PM PST
In reply to: Humm ....

First of all thanks for the swift reply.
I've been doing a lot of info searching and the only availible BIOS update only seems to address a problem with the CPU fan. I've mailed the acer support and awaiting their reply.
I the mean time: Is there any risk in doing a BIOS update? Should I just go ahead and do the update and try again while i wait for an answer?
Btw. the change of CPU must have some effect on the batterylife as it more than halves the power consumption, right?
Niels K.

Collapse -
BIOS Upgrade
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / November 17, 2006 5:11 AM PST
In reply to: What to do...

Upgrading the BIOS is risky. It's a fact. The BIOS is a operating software of the motherboard. It is the first OS to boot when you push the power button. If you make a mistake during the BIOS upgrade, then, the motherboard will not know how to boot, on wich drive to boot etc.

I don't know for the TDP, but in my logic, a less performant CPU will have a lower power consumption than the Pentium 4 ( even the Mobile version ).

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!