General discussion

Cdrw problem.

Dell Dimension 4500S, WinXP Home, 256mb ddr ram, Maxtor 20gb hdd. onboard video & sound, Intel 845 MB w/1.8 Celeron cpu.
This machine suddenly stopped recognizing the cdrw drive.
I checked inside to find the cd drive is on channel two by itself, jumpered at cable select.
When I change the jumper to master and reboot, the drive is recognized normally. However, when I reboot again, it isn't recognized. The drive works, until I reboot.
I get the same results when I change the jumper back to CS.
Does anyone have a clue why this is? The hdd is also set at CS. I have set both as master, Windows will boot at either setting. I have installed a new 80 pin cable to replace the original, but it seems to have no affect.
My first thought was that the drive was failing, but when it is recognized, it works just fine.
Do I toss the drive, or just reset the jumper each time?
Any thoughts are appreciated.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Cdrw problem.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Cdrw problem.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Check this link, where Ed O
- Collapse -
Thanks, Ray

Those are great tips. I'll check to see what's going on in the bios. I'll let you know.

- Collapse -
cdrw

I applied the changes in the bios, at least the ones that were available. I was able to change the boot order as suggested, but the other options weren't available. Not even the Floppy Seek option. Long story short, I plugged in a new drive and it was recognized properly.
Lesson learned.

CNET Forums

Forum Info