Windows XP? When did the problem start? Have you added and SW? If it worked a couple days ago, I'd try and do a System Restore. I'd also yank the Optical Dirve and put it back in...it may not be seated correctly.
Also, will it read any media at all?
There's a registry fix out there somewhere for some stuff....
Also may need to reinstall Roxio.
Let us know!
I have an Inspiron 2650 that came along with a CDRW/DVD (SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SN-308B) attached. Of late, the CDRW/DVD has stopped working, for no reason that I can think of.
With my limited knowledge, I have done the following diagnostics:
(1) The Device Manager is showing the CDRW/DVD, and the General Tab of the property window states the status as - "The device is working properly."
(2) When I go to the Driver Details (link from the Driver Tab of the property window), I see four driver files - cdrom.sys, ImapiRox.sys, redbook.sys and storprop.sys. Except ImapiRox.sys, other three are checked.
(3) In Disk Management, I see that -
(4) In windows explorer, I can see the CDRW/DVD mapped to E:, but clicking on it shows me the message - "Please insert a disk into drive E:" although the disk is inserted.
(5) From Roxy, when I try to burn a CD, it says there is no CD Recorder attached to my laptop.
I did the following:
(1) From Device Manager, I deleted the node where it has SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SN-308B, and then rebooted. I got the node back but nothing worked.
(2) From BIOS, I reset the original settings. Nothing worked.
When I insert the disk, the greed light flashes a few times, I hear a series of thudding (not sure if this is the right word...) sound and then nothing happens.
I need urgent help with this. Could anyone please suggest me what I need to do to rectify the problem?
Thanks and best regards -