Laptops forum

General discussion

CDRW Not Working -- Please help!

Hi -

I have an Inspiron 2650 that came along with a CDRW/DVD (SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SN-308B) attached. Of late, the CDRW/DVD has stopped working, for no reason that I can think of.

With my limited knowledge, I have done the following diagnostics:
(1) The Device Manager is showing the CDRW/DVD, and the General Tab of the property window states the status as - "The device is working properly."
(2) When I go to the Driver Details (link from the Driver Tab of the property window), I see four driver files - cdrom.sys, ImapiRox.sys, redbook.sys and storprop.sys. Except ImapiRox.sys, other three are checked.
(3) In Disk Management, I see that -
CD-ROM 0
DVD (E

No Media
(4) In windows explorer, I can see the CDRW/DVD mapped to E:, but clicking on it shows me the message - "Please insert a disk into drive E:" although the disk is inserted.
(5) From Roxy, when I try to burn a CD, it says there is no CD Recorder attached to my laptop.

I did the following:
(1) From Device Manager, I deleted the node where it has SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SN-308B, and then rebooted. I got the node back but nothing worked.
(2) From BIOS, I reset the original settings. Nothing worked.

When I insert the disk, the greed light flashes a few times, I hear a series of thudding (not sure if this is the right word...) sound and then nothing happens.

I need urgent help with this. Could anyone please suggest me what I need to do to rectify the problem?

Thanks and best regards -
MK

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CDRW Not Working -- Please help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CDRW Not Working -- Please help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
CDRW

In reply to: CDRW Not Working -- Please help!

Windows XP? When did the problem start? Have you added and SW? If it worked a couple days ago, I'd try and do a System Restore. I'd also yank the Optical Dirve and put it back in...it may not be seated correctly.

Also, will it read any media at all?

There's a registry fix out there somewhere for some stuff....

Also may need to reinstall Roxio.

Let us know!

Collapse -

In reply to: CDRW

Thanks for your reply.

It is Windows XP Home. The problem is occuring for last 2 months.

I did install (and uninstall) some Spyware Removal apps as my computer was infected with Spyware.

Could you please help?

Collapse -

In reply to: CDRW Not Working -- Please help!

Just to keep you updated - I tried System Restore (the only restore point I had was of 2 monhts back - 3/11) but it is not working.

Please help!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!