Computer Help forum

General discussion

CDRW-DVD Laptop Combo Drive problem

by Brando16 / February 9, 2004 9:08 AM PST

Hi everyone! First off, thanks for looking!

Second, I have a problem with my Sony VAIO's CD-RW/DVD combo drive. You see, before it used to play DVD's without a problem. Now, for some reason, the DVD is read, but it isn't even recognized. I've looked everywhere, and even recovered the laptop but still no luck...I can burn CD-R's fine but for some reason the DVD's can't be read.

I have a Sony VAIO PCG-FX390 Laptop, with Windows XP, 30GB HD, & 256M RAM. I went through the help, and learned that I might need to buy a DVD Decoder. I currently have WinDVD 2000, and it's worked fine in the past so I don't understand what I might need the decoder for. Anyone able to help?

I really appreciate the help in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CDRW-DVD Laptop Combo Drive problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CDRW-DVD Laptop Combo Drive problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:CDRW-DVD Laptop Combo Drive problem
by HerbChong / February 10, 2004 9:59 AM PST

if you can read the data on a DVD but not the movie, then you need to reinstall the DVD decoder and to run a DVD player to test it. the player usually comes with a video card. if a fresh restore of the computer didn't work and it used to, then the DVD drive might be broken. have you talked to Sony yet?

Herb...

Collapse -
Re:Re:CDRW-DVD Laptop Combo Drive problem
by Brando16 / February 11, 2004 4:51 AM PST

It doesn't even recognize the DVD. I have not talked to Sony yet, because I think it costs money to get a hold of a representitive. I didn't have to install a decoder before, but I think its on the Driver Recovery CD included with my VAIO. I'm going to look on it now.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:CDRW-DVD Laptop Combo Drive problem
by HerbChong / February 13, 2004 10:27 AM PST

if you are the purchaser of the computer, you have a limited time free support. use it up first. the recovered system should work without any problems. if your DVD doesn't get recognized, the drive might be defective. only Sony can tell you for sure.

Herb...

Collapse -
Re: CDRW-DVD Laptop Combo Drive problem
by espo412 / June 25, 2004 6:39 AM PDT

I also own a Vaio PCG-R505JS with the same specs as yours. I have the exact opposite problem that you have have. My combo drive won't read or burn cd's at all, but it reads dvd's perfectly. I know someone else who had this problem and he said it has something to do with the sound driver interfering with the cd drive. I will ask him how he fixed it.

Collapse -
Same problem
by juanus_superbus / January 7, 2005 7:58 AM PST

I have this problem as well...my Sony VAIO laptop recognizes and plays DVDs but will not even acknowledge any type of CD/CDR placed in the drive. I can't even reinstall drivers from the SONY setup discs b/c it won't read them. If you did solve your problem, please help!

Juan

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.