Computer Help forum

General discussion

CDRW Drives

by margiefulcher / August 19, 2008 1:22 AM PDT

I am thinking of updating my computer with more memory and an updated burner drive. What I would appreciate is any suggestions in regards to the type of drive to burn. I currently have 52x24x52 LiteOn CDRW drive and was contemplating either a DVD/CD drive or should I consider BD/DVD/CD burner? I have the following computer constructed at a local computer business:
Intel Pentium P4 Socket 478 2600 System
Asus P4B533 mother board - Intel 845E chipset
nVidia GeForce FX5200 8X AGP 128MB DDR dual VGA/TV.DVIvideo card
80 G 7200 8M cache Western Digital Ultra ATA.100 hard drive
O-board 6 channel audio controller
ACER ATX mid-tower case w/300 watt quiet power supply
Windows XP Pro
512 megs PC 2700 333 Mhz DDR

I was also considering increasing my memory 2gb or 3gb?

For the record I am a novice so appreciate any suggestions one may have.

Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CDRW Drives
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CDRW Drives
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DO NOT UPGRADE!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 19, 2008 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: CDRW Drives

The Intel 845E is a slug on memory access times and from 512MB to 2.0GB or more you will not be happy as flies just about as fast as before you added the RAM. I have a few of those Intel 845 based systems and we are letting them stand still until dead.

HOWEVER, replacing the old slow hard disk can give your machine a big boost for few bucks.

Just installed an under 20 buck DVDRW drive. Why not go get one of those? Spotted at newegg.com and geeks.com
Bob

Collapse -
DO NOT UPGRADE!
by margiefulcher / August 19, 2008 2:11 AM PDT
In reply to: DO NOT UPGRADE!

Thank you for your quick reply. My system is used mainly for Microsoft Office programs, Photo's which I have many and would like to burn on DVD's (Blu-ray is out at that price!) so I can send to my relatives to play on their t.v.'s. Thanks for the DVDRW drive suggestion.

Pardon my ignorance but by replacing the old slow hard disk which on my list is the hard disk the Western Digital Ultra ATA/100 hard drive?

Collapse -
"Pardon my ignorance but by replacing the old slow hard disk
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 19, 2008 2:16 AM PDT

"Pardon my ignorance but by replacing the old slow hard disk which on my list is the hard disk the Western Digital Ultra ATA/100 hard drive?"

Yes. But if you are doing this yourself you may want to move slowly. Try the DVDRW first and then think over what next.
Bob

Collapse -
Pardon my ignorace
by margiefulcher / August 19, 2008 2:20 AM PDT

No, I am not going to do this by myself as I am not qualified! I was going to take it to the small computer shop that I bought it but wanted to be sure of what I wanted them to do first. Thanks for your help.
Margie

Collapse -
Any "newer" drive that is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 19, 2008 2:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Pardon my ignorace

7200 RPM with the same interface will likely give the machine benefits such as faster boot times, speedier application launching. The problem here is if you don't do this yourself the costs can be that of a new machine and why you may want to be very careful about what you upgrade.
Bob

Collapse -
Any "newer" drive
by margiefulcher / August 19, 2008 2:55 AM PDT

Thanks Bob, wish I knew more about computers. I understand. I would like to upgrade my computer with more memory which I thought would make it go a little faster, but I can certainly understand now what you mean regarding going slow (duh - finally got it!) about the hard drive. I guess I am concerned about so many pictures and files stored on here as I haven't had the time to put them a on zip disk or USB Flash Drive. Another reason is that individual's say that a computer is obsolete after 5 years yet I would prefer not to spend a lot of money on a new computer as I bought a MACbook last year which I love but is obviously much different than a PC therefore, I have to teach myself all over which I don't have a lot of time to do, plus I find it easier using my Desktop which I love.
Margie

Collapse -
DO NOT UPGRADE
by margiefulcher / August 19, 2008 2:35 AM PDT

What would you suggest replacing the Western Digital Ultra ATA/100 hard drive with?

Thanks,
Margie

Collapse -
Well
by Jimmy Greystone / August 19, 2008 1:31 AM PDT

Well, blu-ray burners still run around $300 or more last I saw, and a single blu-ray disc costs around $40, assuming you can find one anywhere.

As for the RAM, I suspect that motherboard won't be able to handle 3GB of RAM, though 2GB may not be out of the question. In the end I guess it depends on what you use the system for. Based on the specs, I'm guessing you're not much of a gamer, and in that case, there's probably little benefit to going beyond 1GB of RAM. Unless you also plan to upgrade to Vista, then maxing out your system's RAM would be very useful.

Collapse -
Well
by margiefulcher / August 19, 2008 2:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Well

Thank you for your reply. I guess I will upgrade to 1GB of RAM then as I do not plan on upgrading to VISTA until I read better reviews on it as even those I speak to don't speak high of the upgrade. I was thinking up upgrading my RAM and another individual suggested in response that I upgrade my hard drive. So I guess I should consider that also. I have been thinking of doing something as my computer is now 5 years old, running fine most of the time but I thought with so many photo's saved along with files I should consider doing something.

Collapse -
Don't buy just because it's there.
by ahtoi / August 19, 2008 2:16 AM PDT

Definitely forget about the bru-ray burner; your computer seems under-powered.
Just in case you still want to; here is something to think about first.

Bru-ray video need a BIG screen to be appreciated.

Is the computer hookup to the tv and is it hi-def?

If the computer is not connected to the tv then do you have a BD player?

Collapse -
Don't buy
by margiefulcher / August 19, 2008 2:28 AM PDT

Thanks for your help. You've certainly convinced me No Blu-ray. No I don't have a big screen t.v. I was thinking of the future but I am certainly satisfied with DVD.
Thanks again,
Margie

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?