Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

CDRom Software/Hardware

by Carr / February 11, 2004 8:40 AM PST

I would welcome suggestions and search references for info on CDRom Software and Hardware. I run Win98SE on DSL. No burner/player or software currently installed. Any comment on BurnQuick software?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CDRom Software/Hardware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CDRom Software/Hardware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:CDRom Software/Hardware
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2004 9:27 AM PST

Let's move quickly on this issue. With CDRW drives being found onsale for $9.99 to $19.99 with bundled software that does work, it's hard to imagine parting with much more than a twenty. What some will not like is that support is not ready to be found for that price.

But that's what I use when a CDRW drive is needed.

Bob

Collapse -
by CaptP / February 11, 2004 10:25 AM PST

My "onboard CD drive gave up the ghoast and I had to do somthing real quick, I purchased a Pacific Digital Recoardable/Rewrite stand alone unit for $90 bucks. Plugs into USB port and comes with its own support software. The software package let's you burn music CDs, make data disks, store photos etc., they have an upgrade package for cheap but I havn't found a need for it yet. Oh yeah, I bought it at Office Max or Depot or one of those. I know there's quite a few products out there but this one is pretty good for the money, in my experience.
Paul

Collapse -
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 11, 2004 11:40 AM PST

Much like Bob above, when I install a CD-RW drive, I watch for sales and make sure that the drive includes it's own software. I'm not very picky about the brand name any more as the small amount of money spent doesn't create a lot of expense, even if the drive is short-lived. In my experience, the most common CD-RW software is normally Roxio's Easy CD Creator or Nero's Burning. They both work well, and as long as you've got room to install an "internal" drive, I would choose that.

ON the other hand, if you've got a minimal power supply and a small computer tower which would prevent the installation of a second drive, then an "external" CD-RW using a USB connection can be a good choice. An external model will be more expensive and generally slower than the internal models, but I've found times when it was the only way to get a burner installed. Once again, I look for a drive that has the software included.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Worth repeating CDRW Software can cost more than the drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2004 9:16 PM PST

With CDRW drives on sale from 9.99 to 29.99 all the time, you would scream if you had to expend another 50 bucks (or more?) for CDRW recording software.

Make sure you see it note "software included."

Bob

Collapse -
The problem with"software included", Bob,...
by Paul C / February 15, 2004 10:42 AM PST

...is that the software is a truncated version of Nero, Roxio, etc., and therefore lacks the functionality of the full commercially available package (e.g., if an included package includes disk copying capability, it usually doesn't support copying in raw mode, which you need for archiving many programs you buy and are entitled to copy for archiving). Also, that software generally can only be used on the burner with which it's bundled - a real PITA if you have two recordable optical drives...

Collapse -
Re:The problem with... Noted.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2004 10:56 AM PST

Better than 9 out of 10 won't use that RAW feature. SO those who need it can upgrade to the full Nero or what they prefer.

Hard to beat the current deals...

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.