PC Applications forum

General discussion

CDBurnerXP Pro 3 - Question?

New to and learning this software. I have made a compilation of folders that I wish to used as hard drive Backup data. It is saved as "DVD Folders Backup" image to be used now and in making future backups. Now what do I do?

(1) Since this will be DVD media, do I use DVD-R or DVD-RW media and can the media be used over and over?

(2) Is formatting required of the DVD-RW media and is there a method of "not closing" the DVD-R so it can be used over again?

Hope the questions are not juvenile. I only need help in pointing the right direction as to media and how to use it. This looks promising for backup of data that I cannot afford to loose.

Thanks for your help!

Glenn

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CDBurnerXP Pro 3 - Question?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CDBurnerXP Pro 3 - Question?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: CDBurnerXP Pro 3 - Question?

In reply to: CDBurnerXP Pro 3 - Question?

The -R would be one use and that's it. If you had -RW, it's erasable many hundreds of times. And a great way to test your skills.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob!

In reply to: Re: CDBurnerXP Pro 3 - Question?

I have DVD-RW media and will use over and over by alternating between disks. Thanks for your time... I knew you had the answer for this one.

Glenn

Collapse -
Problem navigating this software...

In reply to: Re: CDBurnerXP Pro 3 - Question?

This should be simple since all I want this software to do is backup 13 folders using a pre-configured CD/DVD Layout. This being beta software help is very limited or non-existant.

I prepared the Layout and backed up the 13 folders to DVD-RW yesterday. Today I erased the disk and did another backup using the previous Layout... it seems this last backup did not include new files that were added after the first backup. Tell me a new Layout is not needed each time a backup is done. Sad With 13 folders to do that is cumbersome and risky in failing to get them all.

Hopefully I am missing something that is obvious. Please tell or offer any suggestions that come to mind.

Thanks,

Glenn

Collapse -
From memory...

In reply to: Problem navigating this software...

The "layout" will have a list of files to backup. There may be a button to "refresh" what files are to be added from the selected directories, but I am not on a machine with CDburnerXP to see what that could be.

Have you looked up DEEPBURNER? I haven't tried that one yet and don't know if it does DVD.

I'll be on a machine with cdburnerxp on it so when I get to that machine or another with it, I'll check what/where such a command would be.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: From memory...

In reply to: From memory...

Bob, I have looked but did not see a button to "refresh" what files are to be added from the selected folders Layout. Sounds like what is needed! If you find something let me know.

Never heard of DeepBurner before but am downloading it right now. I will try to get CDBurnerXP Pro to operate as desired first. If no luck will try it later.

Thanks again,

Glenn

Collapse -
FWIW a solution of sorts...

In reply to: From memory...

I have found a "Mickey Mouse" way to make a Layout that will make backups with all new and up-to-date data each time the Layout is used.

In the lower left quadrant of the "New Image" section I managed to create a folder named "C:" and saved it as my Layout. When burned this will backup the entire hard drive... not exactly what I envisioned but haven't yet figured out a way to choose only selected folders without getting all the hard drive.

For now it serves my purpose and works well. A backup takes only about 2 minutes. Erasing the DVD-RW disk before a new backup seems to take a bit longer. In the future maybe I can figure out a way to backup only certain data folders using a Layout that can be used over again since the entire hard drive backup is not needed.

Thanks Bob for your help. Almost gave up and removed the software before stumbling on the above method.

Have a great day!

Happy

Glenn

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.