Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

cda music programs dont work on XP Home

by RickC / August 22, 2006 9:10 AM PDT

All programs like wmp, winamp cd rippers,
cdburnerxp pro3,ect do not work when it comes to playing or ripping cda music files. I think there is a problem with the mci cd audio driver.

Control panel
sounds & audio devices
hardware
media control devices
properties
properties
[mci] cd Audio

Mine says: [mci] windows quicktime
instead of [mci] cd audio

I cant figure out how to change it or where to load the cd audio driver for windows xp home.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cda music programs dont work on XP Home
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cda music programs dont work on XP Home
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
added info at link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2006 9:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
Rick, now you have mentioned quictime
by DarCLew2 / August 22, 2006 1:11 PM PDT

That is your default player. That means Windows Media Player is NOT your default player. I have AOL and it does install Quicktime, Realplayer G2, Realplayer Jukebox, WinAmp, AOL Media Player and they will not allow any other player to work. I hane WINXP Home Edition also. I right click the quicktime icon on the toolbar, click on Quicktime Preferences. Put File Type Associations in the small bar, click on File Types and uncheck all the boxes (one will stay-QuickTime movie), click the x to close and WMP10 will work and so will the others. I eben made certain that one item was unchecked in WMP10 and that is DVD Video, for i use PowerDVD for that. click on Tools, Options, File Types in WMP10. Reboot and you will (mci) CD Audio-and not (mci)Windows Quicktime. If it doen't install, go to New Hardware and select Media Control Devices. I had installed a second set and just deleted them 4 MCI's Darrell Lewis

Collapse -
deleted quicktime
by RickC / August 23, 2006 5:39 AM PDT

I uninstalled quicktime and itunes. I still cant play music cd's, same problem. In the media control devices I have listed this now:
(mci) midi sequencer
(mci) Sound
mciqtz32.dll
qtwmci.32.dll

when I search for new hardware in the add new hardware from control panel for media control devices, it just says the device is working properly.
yhea right!! But I appreciate all your help cause I would like to listen to cd's on the computer.

Collapse -
you are missing one in your list (mci) cda.dll
by DarCLew2 / August 23, 2006 9:11 AM PDT
In reply to: deleted quicktime

That one that has qtwmci.dll find it and delete it first-that is quicktime. Right click system icon in control panel,Click on Hardware, Device Manager & Media Control Devices is listed twice in sound, video and game controllers, clock the + sign to see this. Right click both and the one that has Porperties and listed there is the one you delete. reboot computer.
These are correct:
(mci) midi sequencer
(mci) Sound
mciqtz32.dll
The one that is missing is: (mci)CD Audio but that one that has qtwmci32.dll is mci QuickTime Windows. That is still blocking your .cda's. Four items will be installed. Darrell Lewis

Collapse -
maybe I'll get a cd player..........
by RickC / August 23, 2006 1:21 PM PDT

Now I have nothing listed for (msi)

mciavi32.dll
mcicda.dll
mciqt2.dll
mciseq.dll
mciwave.dll

The computer still wont play music cd's (cda) format, but will play mp3's ect.

Collapse -
you are close Rick
by DarCLew2 / August 23, 2006 4:42 PM PDT

mciavi32.dll
mcicda.dll
mciqt2.dll
mciseq.dll
mciwave.dll
Delete these from your list. Control Panel Click open Add Hardware, a box shows up and asks if hardware connected? put a a dot in yes, I have already connected up the hardware. Next. At the bottom it says Add New hardware device. Next. Install the hardware that I manually select from a lisr (Advanced). Select, Sound, video and game controllers. Next (standard system devices) highlight that - and on the other side, highlight Media Control Devices. Next. and Next to install them. Finish. Check Sytem Hardware and Device manager. Right click on Media Control Devices, properties and find the one that displys properties. Your (MCI) CD Audio,(MCI) Midi, ,( MCI) Sound & mciqtz.dll is in there under Sound, video and game controllers. Darrell Lewis

Collapse -
Maybe progress??
by RickC / August 24, 2006 2:46 AM PDT
In reply to: you are close Rick

I removed like you said then installed new hardware, and it finished, but now when I check there is nothing in media control devices. I installed a second time and all went well but still nothing in the media control devices, although in device manager I now have 3 media control devices, but only one shows properties. I think this is progress, any more ideas? I'm not concerned about messing anything up cause I have a good backup of my hard drive with acronis true image... great product.

Collapse -
Are these the ones you have now Rick?
by DarCLew2 / August 24, 2006 2:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe progress??

Right click on Media Control Devices, properties and find the one that displys properties. Your (MCI) CD Audio,(MCI) Midi,( MCI) Sound & mciqtz.dll is in there under Sound, video and game controllers. If they are, try a CD. You may have to check your filetypes for WMP uner tool-options and see if they are checked.
Darrell Lewis

Collapse -
Blank window
by RickC / August 24, 2006 4:41 AM PDT

There are no entries in there now, no dll's no (mci), just a blank window.

Collapse -
Please don't give up on me .....
by RickC / August 24, 2006 12:42 PM PDT

You've been a great help, and I know I just have a tough problem. I found this , see if it gives you more ideas:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314096/en-us

8. If you can read a data CD but cannot play a music CD, use one of the following methods: ? In Control Panel, start Sounds and Audio Devices, click the Hardware tab, and then make sure that the CD/DVD drive is listed, in addition to Audio Codecs.
? If these items are not listed, use the Add/Remove Hardware program in Control Panel to reinstall these drivers.

9. If the system is configured to dual-boot to another operating system, confirm that the CD-ROM drive functions in the other operating system. If the CD-ROM drive does not function correctly in MS-DOS or in another operating system, contact the manufacturer of the drive for help.
My system is dual boot and everything works if I boot to WindowsMe or 98. Is it a codec problem?
Thankyou for the help

Collapse -
Rick, I went and deleted all of mine to see what could
by DarCLew2 / August 24, 2006 2:10 PM PDT

be done. It turns out I had to use System Restore to an earlier date. I had asked that you disable Quick Time but you had deleted it. Use System Restore to get that back (QuickTime).
From the icon on the taskbar is the quicktime icon.
Right click it and click on QuickTime Preferences. A box will pop up. On the right side is an arrow pointing down & The 3rd item is "File Type Associations" and the bottom of the box has "File Types", click on that. go thru all the + signs and open each one up QuickTime Movie you cannot delet but all other checkmarks, click on them to have an empty box, click okay and the "x" to close Quicktime.
I had accidently put the the speaker plug in the wrong hole but if you pull it out and run that point on the medal you should hear noise from the speakers. I have 3 holes for this and it was the wrong one on both sides. I had taken out the sound card to see were the problem was, I had the blank screen screen also. My system isn't dual boot for both drives are on one cable, 1 was a master and second a slave but i have two wires that go to my sound card from each drive.
Darrell Lewis PS- I may in a hospital tommorow, have had allergies (hives) for 45 days.

Collapse -
Your other message: WMP ver 10 wont play music cd's anymore
by DarCLew2 / August 22, 2006 1:19 PM PDT

When asked what happened when you deleted WMP10, you got WMP6.4 When I installed WINXP Home Edition it gave me WMP9.0 and 6.4. When I uninstall 10 I get 9.0 - not 6.4. Darrell Lewis

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?